linux mint 19 hardware for old pc [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
safeti

linux mint 19 hardware for old pc [SOLVED]

Post by safeti »

hello
i have install linux mint 19 cinnamon beta on my old laptop 32 bit Bios, 1.5 gb ram intel centerino core duo and run very lag and not dedect my driver to update it, 18.3 was more smoth and dedect my driver. Same lag with lubuntu 18.04, maybe its kernel issue, driver or 18.04 package. Any sugestion?
thanks in avadance and sorry for bad english.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: linux mint 19

Post by karlchen »

Hello, safeti.
safeti wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pmon my old laptop 32 bit Bios, 1.5 gb ram intel centerino core duo
Please, post the complete screen output of the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
This will give us a concise overview on your hardware and your system configuration. This will be helpful to tell whether your old laptop has reached the age of retirement.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

karlchen wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:39 pm Hello, safeti.
safeti wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pmon my old laptop 32 bit Bios, 1.5 gb ram intel centerino core duo
Please, post the complete screen output of the terminal command

inxi -Fxz
This will give us a concise overview on your hardware and your system configuration. This will be helpful to tell whether your old laptop has reached the age of retirement.

Regards,
Karl
Pretty much has. OP have you tried Linux Lite? It is made for older 32-bit systems or you could reinstall Mint 18.3 as that will be supported for some time.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

1.5 GB of ram isn't enough to run cinnamon on any computer. Try the Xfce version which will be faster for you.
Seriously though on an older machine like yours, Antix would be a much better option than Mint , because the system footprint is much smaller so it doesn't use up so much of your limited resources.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix
Last edited by turtlebay on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

turtlebay wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:48 pm 1.5 GB of ram isn't enough to run cinnamon on any computer.
Yeah Mate or Xfce would be the better bet.
safeti

Post by safeti »

System:    Host: lubuntu Kernel: 4.10.0-28-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude D420
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TJ984 Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 06/22/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel U2500 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx) bmips: 4782
           clock speeds: max: 1200 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 C-Media CM108 Audio Controller
           driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 004-002
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-28-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
           driver: iwl3945 v: in-tree:s bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlp12s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 68.0GB (2.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK6008GA size: 60.0GB temp: 39C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Blade size: 8.0GB temp: 0C
           ID-1: swap-1 size: 0.39GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram0
           ID-2: swap-2 size: 0.39GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 152 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 164.4/1496.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
safeti

Post by safeti »

thanks all for reply, now im on lubuntu 16.04 and run pretty smoth, but 18.04 not run smoth like fast open, smoth scrolling etc, and aditional driver not dedect for update like in 16.04 package.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, safeti.

In your inxi report there is nothing which immediately tells me that the hardware of this laptop is no longer supported by Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19.
Still the issues which you experienced with Mint 19 seem to suggest that Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19 may no longer fully support the old Dell Latitude D420 out of the box.

As Linux Mint 18.3 worked fine for you, re-installing the previous system from scratch might be a reasonable approach. Linux Mint 18.3 will be supported until April 2021. This is almost 3 more years to go.

Because the available memory is limited to 1.5 GB, I would not really recommend a Cinnamon edition. The xfce editions might be better suited.
At the moment your Lubuntu 16.04 running a desktop environment which is even lighter than xfce.

I am not sure whether Lubuntu 16.04 is a live-system, or whether you have already installed it on your harddisk. In case the latter, you might think about simply keeping it.

In any (future) case, you should make it a habit to test any system, which you might wish to install, from the live-system extensively, before wiping an existing functional system and installing over it.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
safeti

Post by safeti »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 am Hello, safeti.

In your inxi report there is nothing which immediately tells me that the hardware of this laptop is no longer supported by Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19.
Still the issues which you experienced with Mint 19 seem to suggest that Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19 may no longer fully support the old Dell Latitude D420 out of the box.

As Linux Mint 18.3 worked fine for you, re-installing the previous system from scratch might be a reasonable approach. Linux Mint 18.3 will be supported until April 2021. This is almost 3 more years to go.

Because the available memory is limited to 1.5 GB, I would not really recommend a Cinnamon edition. The xfce editions might be better suited.
At the moment your Lubuntu 16.04 running a desktop environment which is even lighter than xfce.

I am not sure whether Lubuntu 16.04 is a live-system, or whether you have already installed it on your harddisk. In case the latter, you might think about simply keeping it.

In any (future) case, you should make it a habit to test any system, which you might wish to install, from the live-system extensively, before wiping an existing functional system and installing over it.

Best regards,
Karl
thank you for info
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

like turtlebay said - it may pay to run either:
- anti-x
http://antix.mepis.org/
- Mepis
https://mxlinux.org/
as both of those Linux Systems are designed for those Older PCs.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
safeti

Post by safeti »

Pierre wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 am like turtlebay said - it may pay to run either:
- anti-x
- Mepis
8)
thanks, i will try
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

safeti wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:27 am
Pierre wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 am like turtlebay said - it may pay to run either:
- anti-x
- Mepis
8)
thanks, i will try
Both are based on Debian and are well supported by their respective forums. Antix is designed from the ground up to run on lower powered older hardware, and both have either 32bit or 64bit ISOs ( according to a recent discussion on the MX forum there are no plans to withdraw the 32bit option).
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

- anti-x
- Mepis
8)
LXLE is another good choice. It calls itself a "Full featured OS for an aging PC."
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
safeti

Post by safeti »

Reorx wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:07 am
- anti-x
- Mepis
8)
LXLE is another good choice. It calls itself a "Full featured OS for an aging PC."
lxle looks good too, thanks for all suggestions i will download and try all when i will have good wifi connection, if anyone have another suggestion please tell me :D
turtlebay

Re: linux mint 19 hardware for old pc [SOLVED]

Post by turtlebay »

When you have a good wifi connection, download the distros using torrents rather than mirrors, much less chance of a corrupt download.
safeti

Post by safeti »

turtlebay wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm When you have a good wifi connection, download the distros using torrents rather than mirrors, much less chance of a corrupt download.
thank you for info
safeti

Post by safeti »

thank you guys, now im using mx linux and its amazing.
fast and no lags, now i have not problem with youtube player even in full screen :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”