Window Borders with Mint 19 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
srpohl
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Window Borders with Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by srpohl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:45 pm

It would be nice to have a list of themes that work as promised with Mint 19. It would have been nicer to have the default window borders in 18.x to have been re-written for 19 instead of just being dropped. IMO

Sourav
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sourav » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Pepi wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 am
Any way to get the old Cinnamon window borders back? On Mint 19 you only have three for default and I like using the 'Atlanta' window border. I tried renaming the 'themes' directory in Mint 19 and copying my 'themes' directory from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19. This gave me a few new windows boarders but not any I like.

WindowBorders.png

Hey there! Why don't you browse gnome-look.org, cinnamon-look.org, and opendesktop.org?
There are plenty of GTK themes! Hope you'll love them!

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:33 pm

lmuserx4849 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm
JosephM wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:49 pm
Old metacity-1 and metacity-2 themes are no longer fully supported by Cinnamon.
Is this true for Mate too?

I'm currently using clearlooks-phenix, which is suppose to be a "GTK3 port of Clearlooks, the default theme for Gnome 2", but it hasn't been updated in awhile. Internet searches seem to indicate GTK themes are tied to a version of GTK. It seems to be working with a few deprecated properties errors.

It appears to be. I too am having trouble with the window borders, and after an excursion into 18.3, I think it was, discovered some themes/elements are not compatible with GTk3. GTk2 was highly definable because I believe it used standard scripts, while GTK3 uses XML and removed a lot of the provisions for colours and customization.

Ah, progress! :?
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 am

Other way round - GTK2 was relatively straightforward xml like syntax and has a whole lot of reliance on various theme engines. Quite amenable to on the fly color editing for end-user customisation, but actually not very versatile in terms of design and designers would need to learn the features of the various engines, often not very well documented, and sometimes not very well maintained.

GTK3 is basically lots and lots of CSS - more complex, not amenable to on the fly editing for end user customisation but ultimately more versatile and only reliant on the core GTK3 libraries. Now that with Mint 19 has caught up and uses GTK 3.22 along with pretty much every other GTK based distro themes are pretty much distro agnostic, albeit application specific theming may be basic in a theme from a different distro.

Once the likes of Gimp and Inkscape have migrated to GTK3 and theme designers can stop worrying about trying to get GTK2 and GTK3 apps to look and act broadly the same in the same theme GTK3 (maybe GTK4 by that point) will come into its own, until the next big change....!
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 am

srpohl wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:45 pm
It would be nice to have a list of themes that work as promised with Mint 19. It would have been nicer to have the default window borders in 18.x to have been re-written for 19 instead of just being dropped. IMO
Pepi wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am
This is what I found also. Atlanta will work from the command line but the boxes are all Black ... Oh well and thanks JosephM for explaining all this. I actually understand how all this works now !!
Hi,

I've been running through the 18.3 theme set and have updated where necessary to metacity-theme-3.xml format so they display correctly in the Themes module. I've also attempted to fix up the display issues - all now working OK my end from some limited testing.

See viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414 for instructions on downloading and installing the modified themes.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 am

Need to try this out THANKS

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 am

IT WORKS !!! Thanks smurphos 8)

azalea4va
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azalea4va » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:31 pm

On Mint 19 you only have three for default
I was also disappointed by this. Some of the issues I had with the choices.
  • I did not like the choice of icons for maximize/close/etc.
  • I did not like that none of the choices really highlighted the focused window,
  • The "shadow" font in Mint-X becomes almost unreadable if the title bar is made any color other than the default light grey.
  • The Mint-Y fonts have no border so if one has a black window overlapping another black window (like white-on-black terminal windows), you cannot see where one windows ends and the other begins.
With much trial and error, I created an variant of Mint-Y which I only wanted to use for a redesigned window border. For other things, I use Mint-X-Blue.
  • I wrote .png icon files to replace the existing icon .svg files (I did not have a tool for creating .svg files). I then replaced the existing .svg files, making them links to the .png files I created (so I did not have to change filenames in the .xml file).
  • I figured out how to change the .xml file so windows had a border.
  • I modified the colors in the .xml file to make the titlebar on the window in focus standout more.
The result is below (I have included a maximized window, a shaded window, and all six of the standard border icons).
Screenshot from 2018-07-23 15-01-39.png
The attached tar file contains the files in the modified metacity-1 directory. The othe directories in this variant of Mint-Y theme were copied untouched form Mint-Y.
Attachments
Mint-Y-JAH_metacity-1.tgz
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

mohican
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohican » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi, thanks to this post I understand why the older window border have been removed.
However the Mint-X and Mint-Y remaining choices are inappropriate in my view because they use the same background for active and inactive windows, the only difference being the title of a slightly darker gray over gray... This is not noticeable enough for many people (beginners, elderly people, people with bad screen or glossy screens...)
I do install Mint for people around me and this is disappointing. We really need more windows borders with more colours and contrast and button shapes that people are used to.
Please !
Currently testing Linux Mint 19.0v2 64 bits Xfce and Cinnamon.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm

mohican wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm
We really need more windows borders with more colours and contrast and button shapes that people are used to.
Please !
Have you looked here?
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414

mohican
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohican » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 pm

smurphos wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm
Have you looked here?
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=272414
Oh, good you mention it ! I missed it because I didn't see there was a second page on the topic :roll:
Thank you, I'll try it. :D
Currently testing Linux Mint 19.0v2 64 bits Xfce and Cinnamon.

Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 pm

JosephM wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:49 pm
Old metacity-1 and metacity-2 themes are no longer fully supported by Cinnamon. Some of them were poorly designed and depended on certain behaviour in Muffin. We needed to change that to fix some other issues so removed support for showing them in the theme settings. You can probably still set them via gsettings but some of them WILL have issues.
Indeed even most of the NEW metacity themes have issues.

Crux indeed can be used to show this... try opening 'Window' settings, enable buttons for Menu, Shade, Sticky. You can see them all in Crux, HighContrast outlines them even if there's no icon, MintX is excellent and shows them all - though the title text doesn't work with dark themes, Mint-Y also works.

It seems only these are able to show 'sticky'. Just one example... there are probably more.

I actually edited one metacity theme which 'inherits' it's color from the theme and removed padding (so that it's compact, and it's size depends almost entirely on text size unless text goes smaller than 6 which is too small anyway). I live without a 'sticky' indicator as I only generally use Sticky on my MPV when my son's watching a movie when I'm using more than one workspace.

Surely metacity should also have another button for 'always on top'.

Overall, it's a bit of a sorry state of affairs.

Return to “Newbie Questions”