Installing the Krita application

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

Installing the Krita application

Post by Pascal Illustrator »

Hello,
I have installed the Krita application for illustration work.
When I launch the program from the application launcher / manager (I'm sorry but I don't know the English name since I use the Dutch version), then Krita starts.
But when I go to the menu I can't find Krita. Even in the menu editor I can't find Krita.
How can I make Krita apear in the menu?
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa - Xfce 64-bit
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing the Krita application

Post by trytip »

which is your desktop? (cinmon,xfce,mate?) how you install krita? is flatpack? locate krita.desktop
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Pascal Illustrator wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:37 am
But when I go to the menu I can't find Krita
I am running LM-MATE 18.3, and Krita is located in the Office menu. I suspect it is the Office menu because until recently Krita was the illustration component of the Calligra Suite of office applications.

An entry for Krita is also in the Graphics menu, but it is disabled on my system. I think it is disabled by default, but it is easy to enable from Control Center.

Krita 4.1.0 was recently released, and it is available as an AppImage from the downloads section of https://krita.org/en/. The new version is a nice upgrade, and the AppImage has performed flawlessly for me so far. (Krita 4.1.0 is also available as a flatpak, but I have not bothered to try it.)
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

I have the Cinnanon system.
Krita is nowhere in my menu. Even a search doesn't give a result.
I tried to reïnstal from the Krita website, but without succes.

Sorry for the delay. I hadn't select the e-mail notification.
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

Try this: RMB on Menu icon and select 'configure,' on the GUI that pops up select 'Menu' tab and 'Open the menu editor.'

See if you can find an entry in there (likely either under Office or Graphics submenu) that is disabled. If so, enable it and see what happens.

(Alternatively, from a terminal you could use cinnamon-menu-editor to get there but this is not 'correct procedure.' :wink: )
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

I tried the menu editor, but I can't find Krita in it.
If I launch the Krita-file that you get in the download folder after downloading from their website, the Krita software just opens.
But I don't think this is is the way to start the program.
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:08 am
I tried the menu editor, but I can't find Krita in it.
If I launch the Krita-file that you get in the download folder after downloading from their website, the Krita software just opens.
But I don't think this is is the way to start the program.
Is the name of the file you downloaded krita-4.1.0-x86_64.appimage? If so, this is the AppImage edition of Krita, and the reason you can't find it in the Main menu is because you did not integrate Krita to the desktop the first time you ran it.

An AppImage is launched from where the file is located. If you have it in your Downloads folder, it runs from there. If you create an AppImages folder and the file to this folder, it will from your AppImages folder. If you move it to a USB thumb drive ... it will run from where the file is located.

If you want to create an entry in the Main menu you can allow Krita to integrate to the desktop the next time you run it or you can create it manually.
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

That explains a lot. Thank you.
Yes that's the name of the file I downloaded.
What does 'integrate Krita to the desktop' mean? Is it the same than in Mac OS dragging a program to the applications folder?
And how do I integrate Krita?
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 am
That explains a lot. Thank you.
Yes that's the name of the file I downloaded.
What does 'integrate Krita to the desktop' mean? Is it the same than in Mac OS dragging a program to the applications folder?
Well, Linux is like OS X in a lot of ways because they're both Unix based. But I don't think this is quite the same thing.

Here's a good explanation which shows how to make it executable:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/774490/ ... install-it

I don't have any appimages at the moment but I used to run an Avidemux one. After making it executable I just made a soft link of the appimage file to the desktop and ran it from there.

But don't expect it to LOOK exactly like your other programs when you run it. Appimages are an attempt to get around the Linux problem of having too many distros/packaging systems/libraries and the way they do it is to practically include a Linux runtime environment within. So it's not going to use the same theming as your regular desktop apps, and AFAIK there's no way to fix it that'd be remotely worth the effort.
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

Ok. Now I placed it on my desktop, renamed it to 'Krita' and launch it from there.
But then it's not possible to get it as an icon in the dock?
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 am
Ok. Now I placed it on my desktop, renamed it to 'Krita' and launch it from there.
It may be but I don't use dockers as such and I doubt it. You can't get appimages to integrate with the desktop environment the way normal ones do.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

HI "Pascal Illustrator",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Krita is usually in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) which I would still recommend installing from there along with any recommended and suggested packages you may want, even if you decide to use their newer AppImage and create a second Application desktop shortcut icon ( I usually add "ai" for AppImage for these like "Krita ai" or "Krita-ai" to tell the difference between them)

Some AppImages will ask to integrate with your system or create desktop and or menu items (shortcut launchers) and some do not. When I ran Krita it did not ask to integrate into my desktop, but anyone can right-click their desktop and select create new launcher and to the right of the "command" box browse to wherever you have the "AppImage" file. You can also edit (configure) the menu for adding a new menu item for the the AppImage which of course you can then right-click that and add to your system tray quick launch panel.

-- Tip: If you do not get the application's icon (calligrakrita.png) for an application when using their AppImage, you can right-click the AppImage using your file manager and "open with" an archive application or disc image mounter option, locate the icon and extract it or copy it to wherever you have the AppImage file and use it for the menu or desktop icon; sometimes it will create an application folder and the extracted icon will be in there. If you use d the disc image mounting option, don't forget to unmount the image from the desktop or file manager (right-click unmount).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 am
What does 'integrate Krita to the desktop' mean?
Primarily it creates a entry in the Main menu. I rarely integrate an AppImage to the desktop because I prefer to run them from a terminal or launching them from the file browser.
Is it the same than in Mac OS dragging a program to the applications folder?
I am far from an expert on MacOS and I welcome any corrections.

DMG was the inspiration for AppImage, and in sort of a Magic Eye way the two are very similar. When you double-click a DMG file a window opens that contains a shortcut icon that you can drag to the Applications folder.

When you choose to integrate an AppImage to the desktop, it does the 'drag to the Applications folder' part for you.
You can add a desktop launcher manually. Right-click on an empty spot on the desktop, select Create Launcher, give it a name, browse for the AppImage to fill in the Command box, and click close. To finish, right-click the icon for the newly created launcher and change the icon to something meaningful and helpful.

You can also add a Main menu entry manually from the Main Menu tool in the Control Center. I use MATE, and I added an AppImages menu and populated it with the AppImages I frequently use.
I do not use dockers, but I think it should be possible. I know I can place an AppImage launcher on a MATE panel.

Do you know how to update an AppImage?
One way is to keep checking the location where you downloaded the AppImage to see if a new version is available. If one is available, download, make executable and run.

If the AppImage is built with the 'update information' in place it can be updated using the AppImageUpdate and appimageupdatetool tools. (Krita cannot be updated this way.) Both tools are AppImages and can be downloaded from https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpd ... continuous

I think AppImageUpdate is the better choice because it has a GUI that the process a little easier. Launch AppImageUpdate and select the AppImage you want to update, and it will update the AppImage if a new version is available.

appimageupdatetool is run from the command line.
jpenguin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jpenguin »

appimages are like classic mac apps. No installation, just drag anywhere and run; they often offer to be added to the menu on first run.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.kde.krita is my preferred way to install Krita ona non KDE system though. Flatpacks install in /var or (~/.ar if nyou install with --user from cmd line) and install & update in the Software app
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

HI "Pascal Illustrator",

You did not state which edition version of Linux Mint Cinnamon that you are using, 17.x, 18.x or 19.x and it matters.

Like most software, especially popular software, there are various installation options. Krita is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and in the Software Manager's Flatpak options, they also have PPA's as well.

The AppImage, Flatpak, Snap packages and PPA's often have newer versions with bugfixes and or more features over those in the regular Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) with the exception of very new just released versions of Linux Mint like version 19 which may already contain the newest versions of that software without using AppImages, Flatpak, Snap, or PPA options.

FYI: One of the advantages of the AppImages are that they work on older versions like Mint 17.x even if they were created for newer versions of Linux. I do not recommend the drag-n-drop method because it usually will move the AppImage file to your Desktop folder. If you just right-click your desktop and select create new launcher in Cinnamon, click the browse button to the right of the command box and browse to the AppImage file, click ok, it will create a desktop launcher and it will ask if you want it to add it to your menus which of course you can then add to your system tray panel. The Mate, KDE, and Xfce editions work the same way for creating new desktop shortcut launchers, but those users have to manually edit (configure) the application menu to add a new application menu entry for AppImages which is also easy to do.

Any application that is in your menus in any edition and version of Linux Mint using whatever installation method, you can right-click it in the menu to add a launcher shortcut icon to the desktop, or system tray panel, or menu favorites.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for all the comments.
My Mint system is 18.3 I think.
I used what seemed for me the most simple way. Just launch it from the desktop.
It's a lot of information if you are new to linux. I have 20 years experience with Mac OS and Windows, but Linux works different so I have much to learn.

Return to “Newbie Questions”