<SOLVED> Swap partition necessary in 19?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Photojoe4
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Swap partition necessary in 19?

Post by Photojoe4 »

Just curious, is it necessary to have a swap partition with a new install of "Tara"? I just saw that the new Ubuntu base uses a swap file instead of a separate partition. I made a swap partition with my new istall but now I'm wondering if I can just delete it and expand the root partition. I've got the home partition on a separate drive, and I've got 8 gigs of ram- honestly, I'm probably never going to need much swap for what I'm using this machine for. But I'll be doing another fresh install on my work computer and if I don't need the swap partition I won't bother with it when I do that install. 19 is working FANTASTIC, by the way :D
Last edited by Photojoe4 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Swap partition necessary in 19?

Post by gm10 »

You don't need one, no, the installer will create a swap file automatically if no swap partition is found.
Photojoe4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Photojoe4 »

So, am I safe deleting the swap partition and creating a swap file? And where should I create the swap file?
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles »

Yes you are. The swapfile is placed in /.
Here is a How-To by @xenopeek for creating a swapfile "manually". When you perform the last step of the instructions, namely editing the /etc/fstab, make sure to remove the entry for your "old" swap partition.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Photojoe4 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:08 pm
So, am I safe deleting the swap partition and creating a swap file? And where should I create the swap file?
Yes, you are safe.

The installer will create /swapfile automatically, you don't need to do anything and I don't think you can change the location, either. You can however create a swapfile in different location at any time once the installation is done should you not want it there.
Photojoe4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Photojoe4 »

Perfect, thanks guys!
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Re: <SOLVED> Swap partition necessary in 19?

Post by Sir Charles »

You are welcome!
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Return to “Newbie Questions”