Mint19 Mate startup sound

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Mint19 Mate startup sound

Post by gingertom5005 »

I've just installed Mint19 Mate 64 bit on an older (but good) tower. So far it works well except that I can't get it produce a start up sound.

In start up applications I've created Login-sound then used the following command:-

play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav

I've used that set up many times. Perhaps it's just a bug and will work with updates.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint19 Mate startup sound

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gingertom5005.

Have you tried to execute the commandline

Code: Select all

in a terminal window? In case you have, is the WAV file really played? Do you hear the sound?

Regards,
Karl
--
P.S.: I also ask, because I experienced problems in making sound work reliably on Ubuntu 18.04 Mate initially. Sound would work sporadically, it seemed. It would stop working, once 2 or 3 graphical applications had been opened. Later on I found out what caused the problem and solved it. Or at least I found a workaround which makes sound work reliably on Ubuntu 18.04 Mate. Maybe the same issue exists on Mint 19 Mate.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gingertom5005 »

That's exactly what I used and the wav file works fine.

gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gingertom5005 »

This is solved. I typed the command into a terminal and the terminal reported back that I needed to install the play command. I used sudo apt-get install sox and it plays beautifully on start up now.

Thanks.

gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint19 Mate startup sound Solved

Post by gingertom5005 »

Works fine now

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, gingertom5005.
That's great that the cause of your little problem turned out to be trivial: sox/play not pre-installed on the system.
Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

magicrob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magicrob »

I want to install the linux mint "chime" sound effect on login on Mint 19.2 Mate. Can anyone help?

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Have clean installed LM20 on sdb but do not get a start up sound. I tried this command in terminal

but did not get any sound out of it. It returned

bash: play: command not found
I then opened file manager to /usr/share/sounds and clicked on linuxmint-login.wav and it played fine. Have they changed anything in LM20 startup sound?
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop

LightTangent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LightTangent »

Hi,

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems like you may need to install the sox package (certainly to get the play command working). You can install this by running the following command from the terminal:

sudo apt-get install sox

I'm not sure if this will solve your startup sound issue, but it will at least install the "play" command.

Tony

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Yes the play command works now but the startup sound does work when I boot into LM20. I also have LM19.3 on sda, another SSD. I did the clean install following this route from AndyM viewtopic.php?p=1837833#p1837833. I have startup sound when I boot into 19.3, so can't understand why it is not working in 20.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop

Return to “Newbie Questions”