You tube video converter to mp3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
natalia

You tube video converter to mp3

Post by natalia »

Hi, I'm looking for a youtube video converter to mp3 files, so far I'm trying to use VLC and it's not letting me (just installed it) and I get this error message (pic attached).
Thank you and Happy Independence Day.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: You tube video converter to mp3

Post by catweazel »

natalia wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 pm Hi, I'm looking for a youtube video converter to mp3 files,

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xdman
It will convert during download.

Your first image is a warning, not an error, and the second is an error, probably caused by ignoring the first warning. Rename the output file.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

You can also use free web services via your browser, just search terms like 'youtube to Mp3 converter' etc.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Note: all41 was kind enough to message me about the typo i made. There was no dash between 'extract' and 'audio', but rather a space. (I hate when I do stuff like that!) The code below has been corrected:

In terminal, run:

youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx

youtube-dl is very powerful and has a LOT of useful options. It used to be pretty much the only option for downloading videos, and I got used to running it from the command line long ago. Of course, there are other options available now, but youtube-dl will download from just about any site that has videos on it. And some of the video sites change their formats regularly to keep people from downloading, but youtube-dl will usually have an update for the new format within a few days.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 am In terminal, run:

youtube-dl --extract audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx

youtube-dl is very powerful and has a LOT of useful options. It used to be pretty much the only option for downloading videos, and I got used to running it from the command line long ago. Of course, there are other options available now, but youtube-dl will download from just about any site that has videos on it. And some of the video sites change their formats regularly to keep people from downloading, but youtube-dl will usually have an update for the new format within a few days.
+1 I I use it regularly, never an issue it is available as a Firefox extension.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi natalia,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"SoundKonverter" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) can extract (convert) the audio from a video into various audio formats, and more...

"YouTube-DLG" the desktop version of "YouTube-DL" can also download videos as video and or audio or both.

As was already stated, there are various browser add-ons that can also download videos or just their audio track, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
natalia

Post by natalia »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 am In terminal, run:

youtube-dl --extract audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx

Hi Jimallyn, ok I've installed it but... where do I find it?, sorry I'm so lost...
Thank you
output:
nat@nat ~ $ youtube-dl --extract audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx
The program 'youtube-dl' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install youtube-dl
nat@nat ~ $ sudo apt install youtube-dl
[sudo] password for nat:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
ffmpeg | libav-tools mpv | mplayer | mplayer2 rtmpdump
The following NEW packages will be installed:
youtube-dl
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
Need to get 644 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,527 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 youtube-dl all 2016.02.22-1 [644 kB]
Fetched 644 kB in 2s (224 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package youtube-dl.
(Reading database ... 198046 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../youtube-dl_2016.02.22-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking youtube-dl (2016.02.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Setting up youtube-dl (2016.02.22-1) ...
natalia

Post by natalia »

phd21 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 pm Hi natalia,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"SoundKonverter" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) can extract (convert) the audio from a video into various audio formats, and more...

"YouTube-DLG" the desktop version of "YouTube-DL" can also download videos as video and or audio or both.

As was already stated, there are various browser add-ons that can also download videos or just their audio track, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Hi, If youtube dl doesn't work out for me, I'll try with SoundKonverter, Thank you!!!
natalia

Post by natalia »

ZakGordon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am You can also use free web services via your browser, just search terms like 'youtube to Mp3 converter' etc.
Hi Zak, for some reason the web services change protocols, or youtube changes protocols and they don't let me convert songs any longer, but Thank you!!!
natalia

Re:(SOLVED) You tube video converter to mp3

Post by natalia »

Thank you all,

*I've found the "youtube mp3 downloader" add-on, so far so good.

*SoundKonverter: I need plugins (no idea which ones).
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Re:(SOLVED) You tube video converter to mp3

Post by phd21 »

Hi natalia,

You are welcome...

With applications like SoundKonverter, you want to install all the recommend and suggested packages which you can do from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", just search for and install soundKonverter then right-click it and install all the recommended and suggested packages. Install "ffmpeg", "x264", "x265", too. This will enable you to convert most video and audio formats into other formats.

"YouTube-DLG" can be installed using a the link below in Linux Mint 18 and 19. YouTube-dl and ffmpeg should also be installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
http://ppa.launchpad.net/nilarimogard/w ... l4_all.deb

"uGet" and "XDM" high speed download managers can also download videos and "xdm" can also convert into mp3 audio.

"WinFF-gtk2" can also do this and is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)... Add your videos, then select "Convert to: Audio" and Preset "mp3", select your destination folder, click the "Convert" button. WinFF opens a console terminal window, when it is finished it will say click enter to continue, click enter and close the application.

Hope this helps ...
SoundKonverter_1.jpg
SoundKonverter_2.jpg
SoundKonverter_3.jpg
WinFF - Converting videos to audio files (extracting audio)
Xtreme Download Manager (xdm) - save video as mp3
YouTube-DLG
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm Hi Zak, for some reason the web services change protocols, or youtube changes protocols and they don't let me convert songs any longer, but Thank you!!!
Ah yes! I just found the same. Probably something to do with those recent internet changes (GDPR stuff?). Well just in case you need another option the browser Slimjet has a built in 'video downloader' for youtube and you can use that to download just the 'audio' from the clip which will save as an .mp3 file.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm
ZakGordon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am You can also use free web services via your browser, just search terms like 'youtube to Mp3 converter' etc.
Hi Zak, for some reason the web services change protocols, or youtube changes protocols and they don't let me convert songs any longer, but Thank you!!!
With host streaming sites it's completely normal to change protocols, and prettty often. They don't like people downloading their streams :wink: .

So there's no one streaming downloader that's always going to work, and there probably isn't going ti be. DOn't depend on one, use several. youtube-dl and clipgrab are the best ones I've used, and I'd use soundconverter to convert them to mp3 if you can't dl with that format. Easier in the long run probably because soundconverter is dependable.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
natalia

Post by natalia »

phd21 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:29 am Hi natalia,

You are welcome...

With applications like SoundKonverter, you want to install all the recommend and suggested packages which you can do from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", just search for and install soundKonverter then right-click it and install all the recommended and suggested packages. Install "ffmpeg", "x264", "x265", too. This will enable you to convert most video and audio formats into other formats.

"YouTube-DLG" can be installed using a the link below in Linux Mint 18 and 19. YouTube-dl and ffmpeg should also be installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
http://ppa.launchpad.net/nilarimogard/w ... l4_all.deb

"uGet" and "XDM" high speed download managers can also download videos and "xdm" can also convert into mp3 audio.

"WinFF-gtk2" can also do this and is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)... Add your videos, then select "Convert to: Audio" and Preset "mp3", select your destination folder, click the "Convert" button. WinFF opens a console terminal window, when it is finished it will say click enter to continue, click enter and close the application.

Hope this helps ...
SoundKonverter_1.jpg
SoundKonverter_2.jpg
SoundKonverter_3.jpg
WinFF - Converting videos to audio files (extracting audio)
Xtreme Download Manager (xdm) - save video as mp3
YouTube-DLG
Hi phd21,
I was "playing" with soundkonverter and I can't get the right settings, we have different windows, Winnff and Xtreme D. don't show up on Software M. nor Synaptic, I'm using Youtube dl (the add-on from firefox), Thank you for your tips!!!
natalia

Post by natalia »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 am
natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm
With host streaming sites it's completely normal to change protocols, and prettty often. They don't like people downloading their streams :wink: .

So there's no one streaming downloader that's always going to work, and there probably isn't going ti be. DOn't depend on one, use several. youtube-dl and clipgrab are the best ones I've used, and I'd use soundconverter to convert them to mp3 if you can't dl with that format. Easier in the long run probably because soundconverter is dependable.
Hi Hoser R., can't find Clipgrab, but I'm using youtube dl and it's working for me so far, Thank you!!!
natalia

Post by natalia »

ZakGordon wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:52 am
natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm Hi Zak, for some reason the web services change protocols, or youtube changes protocols and they don't let me convert songs any longer, but Thank you!!!
Ah yes! I just found the same. Probably something to do with those recent internet changes (GDPR stuff?). Well just in case you need another option the browser Slimjet has a built in 'video downloader' for youtube and you can use that to download just the 'audio' from the clip which will save as an .mp3 file.
Thank you Zak, i'll keep that in mind.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi natalia,

You are welcome...
natalia wrote:I was "playing" with soundkonverter and I can't get the right settings, we have different windows, Winnff and Xtreme D. don't show up on Software M. nor Synaptic, I'm using Youtube dl (the add-on from firefox), Thank you for your tips!!!
Converter applications like "SoundKonverter", "WinFF" (winff-gtk2), etc... work on video and audio files you have already downloaded and want to "rip" or extract the audio from the videos or to convert them into other formats.

The YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG can download the videos as videos or audio files or both.

The only YouTube DL browser add-on I could find that works with "youtube-dl" is for older versions of Firefox called "Download with youtube-dl", is this the one you mentioned or another, and do you have a link you can give us? FYI: This worked great in "Waterfox".

Download with youtube-dl by ArcinHosenka
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... outube-dl/

"4K Video Downloader" and "4K YouTube to MP3" are other really nice applications for this.

4K Video Downloader | Free Video Downloader for PС, macOS and Linux | 4K Download
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader

*** 4K YouTube to MP3 | Free YouTube to MP3 Converter | 4K Download
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... utubetomp3

Depending upon the browser and its extensions and add-ons, they can download videos as videos or audio files. These tend to be "hit or miss" whether they will work today or not ...

This one worked in my Firefox and is available in Chrome and Opera, etc...
Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express by Dishita
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

The fast downloading applications like XDM and uGet have to be installed in your Linux Mint system and your browsers using extension add-ons, although XDM does not even need the browser add-on installed to work, but it helps. You should not have both of these installed, use one or the other.

You Can Now Install Xtreme Download Manager (xdm) In Any Linux Distribution Easily - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2018/02/you-ca ... nload.html

Hope this helps ...
4K_YouTube_to_mp3.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 pmHi Jimallyn, ok I've installed it but... where do I find it?
It is a command you run in the terminal. Note that there was a typo in my original post, which has now been corrected. There should be a dash between 'extract' and 'audio', I somehow managed to put in a space instead. The correct code is shown below:

youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx

Sorry for the typo!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
natalia

Post by natalia »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 am
natalia wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 pmHi Jimallyn, ok I've installed it but... where do I find it?
It is a command you run in the terminal. Note that there was a typo in my original post, which has now been corrected. There should be a dash between 'extract' and 'audio', I somehow managed to put in a space instead. The correct code is shown below:

Sorry for the typo!
Thank you, but.... this is what I've got back, output:
nat@nat ~ $ youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx

ERROR: Incomplete YouTube ID xxxxxxxx. URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxx looks truncated.
nat@nat ~ $
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@natalia
the basic command is:
youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3
paste the url of the video after this command with a single space between mp3 and the link to the video.
such as this example:
youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPzU75P9FA

@jimallyn said
youtube-dl is very powerful and has a LOT of useful options
You can even download distros

Code: Select all

youtube-dl http://reflection.oss.ou.edu/linuxmint/isos/linuxmint.com/stable/19/linuxmint-19-xfce-64bit.iso
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”