[SOLVED] Gnome online Google Drive account in Nemo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Gnome online Google Drive account in Nemo

Post by ineuw »

Using Cinnamon 18.3, I would like to use the Gnome Google drive account in Nemo. I created the link with the email & password and it shows up in the list of network connections but when I try to mount it, the message is that

Unable to mount xxxx@gmail.com
Invalid credentials for xxxx@gmail.com

and please assume that both the email address and the password are correct. I have been searching for info on setting this up in Cinnamon but found none. Perhaps someone can point me to where such information exists. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
PNH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gnome online Google Drive account in Nemo

Post by PNH »

I have a similar problem. Mine was working fine then I had a networking problem that did not seem to be directly related to google drive now I get the same message you did, I have yet to find a solution.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ineuw and PNH,

How To Integrate Google Drive on Linux Mint 19 "Tara" - ITzGeek
https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/l ... -tara.html

How to install Google Drive on Linux Mint 18.x - FOSS Linux
https://www.fosslinux.com/1954/how-to-i ... -18-2.htm/

How To Mount Google Drive Locally As Virtual File System In Linux - OSTechNix
https://www.ostechnix.com/how-to-mount- ... -in-linux/

There are also various 3rd party Linux Google Drive sync clients like "insync", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

phd21, thanks for the links. The truth is I tried them all with no success, and insync price (for me) is too steep for such a limited purpose. So, I settled on overgrive which works well, but at times it's a bit fickle and sensitive.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rclone - far and away the best cloud storage client there is - https://rclone.org/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ineuw,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ineuw, and PNH, etc...

"OverGrive", "InSync", etc... are a couple of the sync clients for Google Drive cloud storage.

Linux Mint 18.3 and 19 have the ability to freely access your Google Drive accounts using the file manager and other applications after you follow the instructions in the links I provided before. You can copy (add), paste, delete, etc... as if they were folders on your local drive. This does not provide automatic syncing options like a cloud provider sync client does, but you could use another sync applications to do that like "rsync", etc...

I just booted into Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and followed the instructions for "How to install Google Drive on Linux Mint 18.x" to install "gnome-control-center" and "gnome-online-accounts" and within a minute I could bring up the Cinnamon's file manager "Files" (Nemo) and scroll down on the left side and access my Google Drive accounts, see screenshot. I think these are already installed in Linux Mint 19.x (it is).

To install Google Drive Access, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+v), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-online-accounts
Then, go into the "Online Accounts" option from the menus or the System Settings option and add your Google Accounts, afterward they are available in file managers under the left side under Networks.

FYI: A new file manager for all editions of Linux called "Polo" can also access various cloud accounts.

Hope this helps ...
LM_Cinnamon_183_Nemo_GoogleDrive1.jpg
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

phd21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 pm
FYI: A new file manager for all editions of Linux called "Polo" can also access various cloud accounts.

Hope this helps ...
Polo integrates the already mentioned rclone to provide cloud storage integration...but you don't have to use polo to use rclone. rclone with nemo....

Performance wise for google-drive rclone leaves gnome-online-accounts in the dust.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

Sorry for the late reply, was too busy with life. Thanks to all who provided solutions, and a special thanks to smurphos for introducing me to Polo. I am very impressed with that app.
shmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome online Google Drive account in Nemo

Post by shmu »

What if the "gnome online accounts" method of accessing google drive is actually working?
Is there still an advantage to rclone?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome online Google Drive account in Nemo

Post by smurphos »

shmu wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 pm What if the "gnome online accounts" method of accessing google drive is actually working?
Is there still an advantage to rclone?
In my experience albeit I last tried Gnome-Online-Accounts in Mint 18.3, rclone is significantly faster at displaying Gdrive folder contents than Gnome-Online-Accounts.

Return to “Beginner Questions”