Icon: Red circle with line through next to drive name

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Icon: Red circle with line through next to drive name

Post by Dot_mdb »

Icon appears where the drive is listed under "Devices". I guess it can't be good, but what does it mean? The drive in question is a Western Digital Elements. I have checked it in Gparted and also plugged it into a Windows machine and run chkdsk. No real problems found. Drive appears to work normally. Edited to add: This drive is formatted ntfs.

Bill
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Icon: Red circle with line through next to drive name

Post by trytip »

can you take a snap of it and post it here? usually the PrtScr button does it. can't be sure of anything without more information.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

I have a screen print of it. Do I need an online hosting service to add it to the post?

Bill
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

Screenshot from 2018-07-05 02-43-54.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-05 02-43-54.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 192 times
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

never seen that before. if your drive functions as you think it should, you can probably ignore it. you can open Disks and see what it tells about it.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

The drive is about 4 years old and used for backups. I had started to think about replacing it even though I wasn't having any problems with it. I have other machines running Mint 18.3 and plugged it into one of those with the same results. I tried a WD Passport drive and it didn't get that symbol when plugged in. I'd hate to need a backup and then find the drive went bad.
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

I may be a newb, but I've seen that icon being used as a place-holder for items when the OS can't determine what icon is appropriate.

So I'd have a closer look at the drives' properties and how it is mounted.
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

Update. I booted up using a Mint 19 live install disk and plugged in the drive. No strange icons. I also ran chkdsk on a Windows machine for the second time and saw no problems. I am thinking that this is some weirdness in Mint 18.3.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bill

Return to “Newbie Questions”