sudo/su on account with no password.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

sudo/su on account with no password.

Post by lazarus »

LM18.3 cinnamon x64

OK, one of the users on our LAN has changed their login details to log in automatically and no password. Fine, I don't like it, but I won't force passwords on these users. It's a family thing and I'm trying to convert our LAN from Win to predominantly Linux. They ain't happy about that but c'est la vie. :lol:

Anyways, on the computer in question I went to install a piece of SW for the user. (They're not in sudo group.) Oddly, on using su to switch to the admin account I was asked for their password, not admins. Which, being blank, cannot be entered. Just hitting <enter> gives a wrong response reply. I tried the admin pw with the same response.

Out of curiosity I tried sudo and it also asked for a pw. With the same results as su, btw. Now, if they're not in sudo group they shouldn't even have access to sudo, correct? I've checked permissions, groups, etc. and everything still looks correct.

I'm not sure how they managed to change their log-in details but I suspect it's not through... approved methods. Kids.

I've restored a Timeshift snapshot to fix this particular problem (which it did) and went admin to give 'em a pw-less account :( but I'd like to know more about where to look to fix this sort of thing manually. I'm sure this won't be the last I see...
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: sudo/su on account with no password.

Post by lazarus »

Huh.

Even though using su now requests the correct pw, they still have access to the sudo cmd. Can't do anything with it, it won't accept a blank pw, but it's still callable.

Or an I wrong in my assumption that it's only available to members of sudo group? One would think that permissions would be checked before issuing requestors... but then again, one is a newb here. :)
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

Return to “Newbie Questions”