Installing Sim City

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyP79

Installing Sim City

Post by AndyP79 »

Hi All,
I have a Sim City game that I am dying to play. BUT, it is for Windows. On Windows I had to install it with the first disk, then when I wanted to play, I had to have Disk 2 in the drive. Anyone know how I can install this game?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Installing Sim City

Post by emorrp1 »

wine is probably what you're after, you can install it from mintInstall. You might need to checkout the app database at http://appdb.winehq.org
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

I looked at the Wine website, and scanned around a little. Is wine only to download games? cause it looked like it had a couple of The Sims games, but the had some crap reviews. Do I have another way of getting it to work?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

wine isn't just for downloading games. Wine allows you to run windows programs under linux, by reverse-engineering the windows' system files. There is basically no other way, except maybe a virtual machine. Aha! thought I'd answered this somewhere: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27102
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

If you want to install them easily you should try PlayOnLinux it uses wine but it makes it easier to install things through a repository of scripts and it appears to support
  • Sim City 2000
    SimCity 4 Deluxe
    SimCity 4
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

Carl wrote:If you want to install them easily you should try PlayOnLinux it uses wine but it makes it easier to install things through a repository of scripts and it appears to support
  • Sim City 2000
    SimCity 4 Deluxe
    SimCity 4

Well, Thanks for the suggestion. I got Playon Linux to load easily. I fiddled with it for a bit, and got the first disk to load, then after inserting the second one, it kept asking me to insert the second disk, when clicking on okay, it did nothing, it would not see the disk, and that was that! Oh well, thanks for the suggestion, I guess I will have to wait and see, as that other then Solitare is about all I play.
Back to the cards
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Have you checked the "Games" in Synaptic Package manager?
I'm sure you will find something interesting.

regards, Richard

ps: check the "universe" archive, I've seen lincity there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”