Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon & Wine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dragon2236

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon & Wine

Post by Dragon2236 »

I am new to Linux, about a week into it so far and am trying to install Wine on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. I have tried the online suggestions for installing on Linux 18 and before that tried to install from the software manager to no avail. Could someone please tell me if Wine even has a stable version for Mint 19 and if so, possibly post steps on how to install. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon & Wine

Post by Pierre »

initially, try the version in Software Manager - - Categories - Games,
and install that version.

it's most probably an older version, but try it out anyway.
& whilst in Games - - get PlayonLinux - as well.

then, look at getting a later version of ./wine, from the online web . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

I'm running Wine 3.0.2 Stable on LM19 Cinnamon. Followed the instructions for LM19 here:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

After I upgraded from 18.3 to 19 my wine programs weren't working for some reason. I basically uninstalled the wine packages then reinstalled them and it's all working now.

I didn't delete any of my configurations in .wine.

from the software manager you need wine-stable and possibly wine64.

For some reason wine32 is not showing up in the software manager but you'll very likely need that as well.

sudo apt install -y wine32
Dragon2236

Post by Dragon2236 »

Can't get any version to work or any install method. Wine never shows up in start bar when searched and won't launch from software manager. Also, I keep getting this from the update manager:
GPG error: http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 818A435C5FCBF54AThe repository 'http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.GPG error: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 818A435C5FCBF54AThe repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.

Downloaded release key - not sure what is going on.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Dragon2236 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 amCan't get any version to work or any install method.
What does this return:

Code: Select all

wine --version
What's the output when you:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine
Wine never shows up in start bar when searched and won't launch from software manager.
It might not have menu entries and you don't launch anything from the software manager - it's for installing/'removing.
Downloaded release key - not sure what is going on.
Rather than do it the complicated way, you should probably just use software manager or synaptic to install wine from the regular repos unless you really have a good reason not to.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Dragon2236

Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon & Wine [SOLVED]

Post by Dragon2236 »

Okay, Wine is working in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon now. First I removed and purged wine:
sudo apt-get remove wine*
sudo apt-get purge wine*
Then I deleted the registration key on my computer, then I deleted the .wine folder in my home folder.
I then followed the instructions on this website found in a reply from this post https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
After installation, wine still does not show up when searched in start menu, but when I right clicked an .exe file for windows I had the opion to select open with wine.

Once opened with wine, the application asked to auto install mono and gecko support programs to which I said yes. Program works great!!!!!!

I believe I messed up both in the execution of the program itself and also initially when first following the steps above by accidentally manually downloading the release key and select the xenial main' in terminal the first time. Again, THANK YOU so much for your quick responses, they were very helpful and much appreciated. LINUX MAKES ME FEEL STUPID, that's one of the reason's I'm trying to learn to use it.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon & Wine [SOLVED]

Post by Flemur »

Dragon2236 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 amAfter installation, wine still does not show up when searched in start menu, but when I right clicked an .exe file for windows I had the opion to select open with wine.
That (no wine menus) seems to happen - I don't use menus so dno't notice it.
Once opened with wine, the application asked to auto install mono and gecko support programs to which I said yes. Program works great!!!!!!
Yay! If you have problems with other programs, look them up in the "wine app database".
I believe I messed up both in the execution of the program itself and also initially when first following the steps above by accidentally manually downloading the release key and select the xenial main' in terminal the first time.
It's easy to mess up, and I've had that "no pub key" stuff happen, but it seems you got it all working.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

I don't have that wine menu either but if I type "wine" in the menu search box all the wine programs show up in the search.
centaurusa

Post by centaurusa »

I created a program launcher for Homesite (an old HTML editor) using the command wine /home/<myusername>/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Allaire/HomeSite4/homesite4.exe where <myusername> is my actual user name (yours will be different) and homesite4.exe in the executable file several levels down in the .wine folder. When creating the on-screen launcher there was an option to include the launcher in the Other category of the main menu. So, although there is no specific Wine listing in the menu, the Windows program is available from Other (in addition to an icon on the desktop).
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

After installing Wine 3.02, I have it in my menus. I'm using Mint 18.3

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
After installing Wine, I installed Office 2003 and Office 2007 without Outlook. With 2003, I tried to apply the service pack 3, but it would not install properly. In fact, it booted me back to the desktop and I had to restore Cinnamon. I was able to install FileFormatConverters.exe so I can read and write docx files.

https://i.imgur.com/9XUDH1K.png
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

After my last post I decided to just create the sub menu and name it wine and move the wine icons into it.
That was a few weeks ago and worked fine. I just looked at it and now I have that Wine menu back in addition to the one I added plus I installed another game into wine and the icons were automatically added to both menus not just the official one.

I have no idea when that happened so it must have been an update that fixed it. So check your menus maybe you have it now.
sjholland

Post by sjholland »

:D
sgtor wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am After I upgraded from 18.3 to 19 my wine programs weren't working for some reason. I basically uninstalled the wine packages then reinstalled them and it's all working now.

I didn't delete any of my configurations in .wine.

from the software manager you need wine-stable and possibly wine64.

For some reason wine32 is not showing up in the software manager but you'll very likely need that as well.

sudo apt install -y wine32
thank you
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Flemur wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am you don't launch anything from the software manager - it's for installing/'removing.
Minor correction - as i know you don't use Software Manager - it does provide a launch button for installed apps
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”