[SOLVED] Installing JRE for Internet Connectivity Monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TrippH
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Installing JRE for Internet Connectivity Monitor

Post by TrippH »

New convert here, running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit for about two weeks, now. And so far, I've solved every problem I've run into (eventually), often with help I found here (thank you all!). So I'm hoping someone can help me with this one:

I live a little east of San Diego, CA, and temps over 100° aren't uncommon in the summer. But when the afternoon temp gets over about 95°, I lose my internet (Cox Cable), and everything that depends on it, like my landline and Roku TV.

I've been fighting this problem for three summers now, and used Google's Internet Connectivity Monitor (https://code.google.com/archive/p/inter ... itymonitor) each year to document it. It's a pure java app, so it's supposed to be able to run on Mac, Win and Linux, provided it has a Java Runtime Environment available.

I have tried every way I can find to install one.

I've followed the step-by-step instructions on the Oracle website to install Java.

I've tried to install it through Software Manager.

I've tried the Duinsoft installer (after checking that it had a good rep).

But every time I try to run ICM, I get "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_10". The website says "1.6 or later", so the current version of Java should work, no?

I can use it by rebooting into my Windows system, but I'd really rather make it work in Linux. So what am I missing? Is there more to installing a JRE than just downloading and installing Java?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TrippH on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing JRE for Internet Connectivity Monitor

Post by thx-1138 »

Google Code is shutdown since quite some time now,
i did found the app you're referring to in other sites though, Internet Connectivity Monitor 1.41 namely.
After extracting the .zip, i simply right-clicked the .jar, Properties, Permissions, Allow executing file as program.
Then just double-clicked it & it worked. No further fiddling around with Java versions was required whatsoever.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Install Oracle Java 8 from PPA:

First open terminal from the Dash/Menu or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T key combination on keyboard. When it opens, run below commands one by one:

1. Add the Webupd8 PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

2. Once the script successfully installs Java 8 on your system, you may run command to set Java 8 environment variables:

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default

Finally check out the your Java installation via command:

java -version
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
TrippH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrippH »

I'm an idiot. I apologize deeply and profusely, that my first post here turned out to be such a newbie mistake: I was trying to run the wrong file. Corrupted by decades of Windows systems (yes, I'm an Olde Pharte), I was trying to run the .EXE version.

It wasn't until the fourth or fifth re-reading of your answers that I noticed thx-1138 (love that movie!) said he clicked on the JAR file and it ran. Once I made it executable on my system, and set Java Runtime as the default, it worked for me, too!

Thank you both for your help, and thank you Lord Boltar, now I know I have a good JRE on my system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”