[SOLVED] How to add LibreOffice to right-click menu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SamLearnsLinux

[SOLVED] How to add LibreOffice to right-click menu?

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Hi, just like right click shows 'create new folder' and 'create new document', I would like to add LibreOffce Writer and Calc to the rightclick menu. How do I do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to add LibreOffice to right-click menu?

Post by hydrurga »

This will be dependent on which file manager you are using and, to a certain extent, which version of Mint.

For Mint 19/Caja (MATE), you can use filemanager-actions from ppa:daniel-marynicz/filemanager-actions (install filemanager-actions and filemanager-actions-caja-extension). I assume that for Nemo (Cinnamon) you can do the same by installing filemanager-actions-nemo-extension.

With these, you can add a context entry "FileManager-Actions actions" to the file manager which can contain other entries (I, for example, have entries for Bless, ClamTk, GtkHash etc.).

For older versions of Mint, the equivalent package for Caja was caja-actions.

All these programs do is provide a useful GUI means of configuring underlying text files, so if you want to get your hands dirty and edit those files directly then you may well be able to create context menu entries without the additional "FileManager-Actions actions" element.

There may be a separate extension for LibreOffice that does all this purely for LibreOffice but if there is then I'm unaware of it.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Thank you for your reply! I am on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon currently and will move to Linux mint 19 cinnamon soon.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am Thank you for your reply! I am on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon currently and will move to Linux mint 19 cinnamon soon.
Ok. You might be best to wait until you're running Mint 19 before you look at the Nemo context menu as the implementation may differ between the two.

When you start on this, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or issues.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It does depend on the DE version but generally if you right click a file you want to open with LO you should be able to click on "open with something else" or similar. Hit that and tell it to open with LO, and the next time you right click a file of the same type LO should come up on the list of apps.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am Hi, just like right click shows 'create new folder' and 'create new document', I would like to add LibreOffce Writer and Calc to the rightclick menu. How do I do this?
Create a template In Writer and Calc and store it in the Templates folder under your home folder. Name them "LibreOffice Writer" and "LibreOffice Calc" so they will be easy to find.

When you want to create a new file, right click on the desktop and select Create Document >. The two names should appear in the list of documents you can create. Choose the one you want.
Don't stop where the ink does.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

shawnhcorey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 am Hi, just like right click shows 'create new folder' and 'create new document', I would like to add LibreOffce Writer and Calc to the rightclick menu. How do I do this?
Create a template In Writer and Calc and store it in the Templates folder under your home folder. Name them "LibreOffice Writer" and "LibreOffice Calc" so they will be easy to find.

When you want to create a new file, right click on the desktop and select Create Document >. The two names should appear in the list of documents you can create. Choose the one you want.
Indeed. It suddenly occurred to me that the OP might be wanting to create new documents with the context menu click rather than open existing documents, so I came back on to say just what you've said. Thanks for posting this. In the end, both Shawn's solution (document creation) and Hoser Rob's solution (document opening) are better than my solution which is more generic and designed to force the file manager to open any documents with the chosen application.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

hydrurga wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am Thank you for your reply! I am on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon currently and will move to Linux mint 19 cinnamon soon.
Ok. You might be best to wait until you're running Mint 19 before you look at the Nemo context menu as the implementation may differ between the two.

When you start on this, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or issues.
Sure. Will hit up the forums if I need help. Thank you :)
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am It does depend on the DE version but generally if you right click a file you want to open with LO you should be able to click on "open with something else" or similar. Hit that and tell it to open with LO, and the next time you right click a file of the same type LO should come up on the list of apps.
No I don't want to use the 'open with' option. I want the right click menu to let me create new libreoffice writer and calc documents
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

shawnhcorey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am Create a template In Writer and Calc and store it in the Templates folder under your home folder.
How do I do this? The template option under file does not give me an option to export a template
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

There is an export option under manage templates in LibreOffice - so you can either export one of the default templates to your ~/Templates folder, or create and save a new template then use the manage templates gui to export.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 am
shawnhcorey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am Create a template In Writer and Calc and store it in the Templates folder under your home folder.
How do I do this? The template option under file does not give me an option to export a template
Don't export a template. The files in the Templates folder are regular, empty files. Just open Writer and save the empty file in Templates.

You can also save non-empty files as Templates. Change the font, size, spacing, whatever you want and save the file in Templates.

Suppose you have a letterhead. Open Writer and create the letterhead. Then save the file in Templates. Now when you Create Documents, you can create ones with the letterhead automatically. :)

You can do the same with Calc. Suppose you have a spreadsheet to calculate your monthly expenses. Open the spreadsheet and save it in Templates. Now, when you Create Documents from it, you have one with the spreadsheet preloaded.
Don't stop where the ink does.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

shawnhcorey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am Don't export a template. The files in the Templates folder are regular, empty files. Just open Writer and save the empty file in Templates.

You can also save non-empty files as Templates. Change the font, size, spacing, whatever you want and save the file in Templates.

Suppose you have a letterhead. Open Writer and create the letterhead. Then save the file in Templates. Now when you Create Documents, you can create ones with the letterhead automatically. :)

You can do the same with Calc. Suppose you have a spreadsheet to calculate your monthly expenses. Open the spreadsheet and save it in Templates. Now, when you Create Documents from it, you have one with the spreadsheet preloaded.

Perfect! Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking to do. Solved my problem

Return to “Beginner Questions”