OSDisc CD install [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sasahley
Level 1
Level 1

OSDisc CD install [SOLVED]

Post by sasahley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I am thinking about switching to Linux Mint (formerly using Windows 7). If I buy the $6 CD, is that all I will need? Does it have the entire operating system on it, or will I need to buy other things to go along with it?

I assume I just put it in my CD drive and allow it to do its thing, correct?
Last edited by sasahley on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: OSDisc CD install

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums.

Yes, you just pay OSDisc for the convenience of having a DVD with Linux Mint on it shipped to you. It also helps fund the Linux Mint project. There's nothing else to buy. You can also download Linux Mint manually and burn it to a DVD or use a tool to write it to a USB thumb drive. See our installation guide for more information about this: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... index.html

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Welcome aboard, sasahley! Installing the OS will install many of the programs you will want automatically. And you can use either Software Manager or Synaptic to install any other programs you need. All absolutely free, of course!

When you boot with your DVD in the drive, you may need to tell the computer to boot from the DVD rather than the hard drive. Usually there will be somewhere early in the boot process that says "Press F12 for Boot Menu" or something like that. That will allow you to select the DVD to boot from. If you don't see a prompt like that, you can go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Usually there will be a message for that, too, something like "Del for setup" or "F2 to edit BIOS." (A few times I have had to just keep trying F keys until I found the right one.)

If you have any more questions, just ask here. That's what the forums are here for!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

sasahley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sasahley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 pm
Welcome aboard, sasahley! Installing the OS will install many of the programs you will want automatically. And you can use either Software Manager or Synaptic to install any other programs you need. All absolutely free, of course!

When you boot with your DVD in the drive, you may need to tell the computer to boot from the DVD rather than the hard drive. Usually there will be somewhere early in the boot process that says "Press F12 for Boot Menu" or something like that. That will allow you to select the DVD to boot from. If you don't see a prompt like that, you can go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Usually there will be a message for that, too, something like "Del for setup" or "F2 to edit BIOS." (A few times I have had to just keep trying F keys until I found the right one.)

If you have any more questions, just ask here. That's what the forums are here for!
Thank you!! Two questions:
1) the programs you mentioned, (Software Manager and Synaptic) are programs you would download after you're done with the DVD process? And those would be available for download on the internet?
2) Where is the BIOS? How to I access that?

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 pm

sasahley wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm
1) the programs you mentioned, (Software Manager and Synaptic) are programs you would download after you're done with the DVD process? And those would be available for download on the internet?
1) No, they are already present in any new installation of Linux Mint. There are lots of useful programs that come pre-installed with Linux Mint.
2) The BIOS is what loads on your computer when you switch it on, before any OS starts up. To access it, you will generally need to press a specific key during early startup; which one, is highly dependent on which exact machine you have. But like jimallyn said, "Usually there will be a message for that, too, something like "Del for setup" or "F2 to edit BIOS." (A few times I have had to just keep trying F keys until I found the right one.)"

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

sasahley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sasahley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Moem wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 pm
sasahley wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm
1) No, they are already present in any new installation of Linux Mint. There are lots of useful programs that come pre-installed with Linux Mint.
2) The BIOS is what loads on your computer when you switch it on, before any OS starts up. To access it, you will generally need to press a specific key during early startup; which one, is highly dependent on which exact machine you have. But like jimallyn said, "Usually there will be a message for that, too, something like "Del for setup" or "F2 to edit BIOS." (A few times I have had to just keep trying F keys until I found the right one.)"
Thank you! I appreciate the quick responses!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: OSDisc CD install [SOLVED]

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 am

One thing I like about the Mint forums is that if I have to be away from it and can't get back right away, somebody is likely to jump in and answer. Moem answered the questions pretty much exactly as I would have.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”