why does my mint 19 boot into terminal [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

why does my mint 19 boot into terminal [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

Why doess my mint 19 Cinnamon always boot up into terminal?

I've just upgraded from mint 18.3. While I was in 18.3, I never had to deal with this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: why does my mint 19 boot into terminal

Post by richyrich »

Was there any warnings about this in the Upgrade blog ? In these forums ? :wink:

PS: you have been here long enough to have read the "How to get help" haven't you ? :? Now, read your topic post again and ask yourself, how can anyone help with the information provided . . .
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

What information do I need to provide? I don't know what does in the forums or on the upgrade notes. Is this a known bug?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Seven years and you still haven't read the "link in pink" that is at the top of every post?

Even this one . . look up. :roll:

Upgrade instructions and warnings have been read and understood . . Active topics in the forums have been browsed . . full backup completed beforehand . . ?

no comment! :(
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I'd just like to say that I'm amazed how both of your avatars fit this conversation so well. Gave me a big smile when I saw this. :)
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Am I the only one with this problem?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i noticed you said you upgraded...usually between versions 17 to 18...18 to 19 etc. it is usually advised to do a clean install instead of an upgrade install...just make sure to back up what you need by any various methods that you might use...(in my case, i keep nothing on OS except the OS itself...everything i need to have such as files, pics, doc, music etc....i put on USBs and just plug them in when needed)...be sure because of some known problems right now that if you do re-install, DO NOT click on the box that say install updates etc at the same time as installation...you can always install updates etc after the full install after you have chosen what levels of updates seem safe to you and DO NOT tick off the box to install the known problem kernel 4.15.0-24 when updating...it has been known to create super slooooow bootups and has caused problems with keyboard and mouse usage...DAMIEN
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Yes, upgraded. Upgraded from Cinnamon 18.3 to Cinnamon 19.

Can someone pls help?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am Yes, upgraded. Upgraded from Cinnamon 18.3 to Cinnamon 19.
Can someone pls help?
Try reinstalling cinnamon (packages) and lightdm (lightdm replaced mdm).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

I figured it out now. I neglected to do step 10C the first time I did it. But now that I've done step 10C, I don't have this problem anymore.

Return to “Beginner Questions”