Opening downloaded apps

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Opening downloaded apps

Post by Jack054 »

I cannot figure out how to open a downloaded antivirus app using the new Software Manager.

I'm using mint xfce 18.3. The new Software Manager was installed with the latest update and I need help to open the downloaded antivirus app.
Thanks for your help
Jack054
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bettik
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Opening downloaded apps

Post by bettik »

How did you download the file and what kind of file is it? Directly from a web site? If so, there is usually instructions on how to install on the download site.
I'm a noob but sometimes I get it right by mistake :roll: ~Jim
Last edited by bettik on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I appreciate your concern about viruses, but that is a hold over from Windows....

you don't need an anti-virus app on Linux.

the browser is your first line of defense, take care of it from there, I use uBlock Origin and that is all.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If it is clam that you installed, it is not a GUI and is run by the terminal, the GUI you want is called clam-tk, you will need to download/install that to see an actual program.

With that said, I have been running Linux Mint since Mint version 5, and have NEVER installed an av, and have NEVER caught a sniffle, let alone a virus. :shock:
I agree with AZgl1500, protect your Internet Browser . . :)
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 »

I downloaded from the ESET antivirus site.

I right clicked the downloaded file and the Software Manager was an option for opening the file.
Jack054
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 »

Is "uBlock Origin" a browser?
Jack05 4
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Was it a .deb file ? or some sort of zip? If it was a deb file, choose "open with gdebi package installer"
Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, did you download the correct version?

PS: uBlock Origin is a Mozilla Add-on that you can download/install from Firefox's Add-ons menu. (I use it)
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Jack054 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 pm I downloaded from the ESET antivirus site.

I right clicked the downloaded file and the Software Manager was an option for opening the file.
Jack054
Just had a look at the site and can't even see a Linux version...... you don't need to use one in Linux, I never have, never had problems.

Delete it, forget it... install browser protection extensions and you're good to go.

In firefox ( and many others ) go to tools/extensions and search for and add ublock origin and https everywhere... that's it.

EDIT: No I was wrong they do have one for Linux.... still don't need it though.
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 »

Thanks all - I will check out the uBlock Origin extension
Jack054
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Mattyboy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pmEDIT: No I was wrong they do have one for Linux.... still don't need it though.
Really? I find references to it, but can't download anything.

https://www.eset.com/us/
Link "Secure your Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, or your Business. "
Click --> page which doesn't mention linux.

This, found thru google
https://www.eset.com/us/home/antivirus-linux/
Has a menu w/windows and mac but no linux.

From antivirus-linux -> "Download free 30 day trial"
--> https://www.eset.com/us/home/free-trial/ = nothing to download, just a loop back to the main site.

Pretty funky website!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I suggest reading from the link below, written by forum member Pjotr.

Security in Linux Mint: an explanation and some tips

P.S. I also use uBlock Origin.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Flemur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm
https://www.eset.com/us/download/home/
Yeah, they list it.... didn't click the link though.. 'cuase you know, why would I :lol:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm I appreciate your concern about viruses, but that is a hold over from Windows....

you don't need an anti-virus app on Linux.
I'm not a fan of anti-virus software on either Linux or Windows for several reasons, but make no mistake, malware does exist in both environments.
richyrich wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 pm With that said, I have been running Linux Mint since Mint version 5, and have NEVER installed an av, and have NEVER caught a sniffle, let alone a virus. :shock:
But how would you know you never caught a virus if you never installed an anti-virus to detect them? ;)
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Mattyboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 am
Flemur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm
https://www.eset.com/us/download/home/
Yeah, they list it.... didn't click the link though.. 'cuase you know, why would I :lol:
...same here - every time i've accidentally clicked such links, to my dismay,
i found later on that my linux install had become infected with AV trial products! :lol:
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am

But how would you know you never caught a virus if you never installed an anti-virus to detect them? ;)
"if there is a process running that did not come from the repos with apt-get or dpkg, the following line will show it"

Code: Select all

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list > /tmp/listin ; ls -F /proc/*/exe|sed s'/@//1' |xargs -l readlink | grep -vxFf /tmp/listin; rm /tmp/listin
"If you get no results that's good"

Credit the original poster.. forget who.
thx-1138 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 am #####
:lol:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mattyboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 am "if there is a process running that did not come from the repos with apt-get or dpkg, the following line will show it"
If only malware detection was that easy. First google result: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... epository/

Linux is no different from Windows - users install random binaries left and right and put a sudo in front without second thought. If desktop Linux was more popular more malware would be written for it, too (see Android, for example, for a popular mobile linux distro with a very "healthy" malware supply).
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 am If only malware detection was that easy........
...if only AV was ever the 'solution'...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am
gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 am If only malware detection was that easy........
...if only AV was ever the 'solution'...
As I said above, I'm not a fan of AV. But the "Linux is safe" slogan is just as problematic. Both of those things give the user a false sense of security.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 am

Linux is no different from Windows - users install random binaries left and right and put a sudo in front without second thought.
True, you can't fix PEBKAC.... but you can NOT add them to the sudoers file. :lol:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Mattyboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 am
gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am

"if there is a process running that did not come from the repos with apt-get or dpkg, the following line will show it"

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list > /tmp/listin ; ls -F /proc/*/exe|sed s'/@//1' |xargs -l readlink | grep -vxFf /tmp/listin; rm /tmp/listin
"If you get no results that's good"

Credit the original poster.. forget who.
thx-1138 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 am #####
:lol:

and obviously Linux don't need no piddling AV app :lol:

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list > /tmp/listin ; ls -F /proc/*/exe|sed s'/@//1' |xargs -l readlink | grep -vxFf /tmp/listin; rm /tmp/listin
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”