<FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 pm I find a disconnected install solves a lot of problems across many operating systems. It also helps isolate the cause of problems. Should be standard operating procedure.
The real problem is that it shouldn't be standard procedure.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You should not have to do it but it helps separate out the iso software problems from the problems caused by updates, especially when the iso is a few weeks old. Network timeouts also screw up installs. My first attempt with a spare USB 2 stick failed. The memory is 100% error free. The only thing I could find related to the problem is that the old stick was too slow.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm
especially when the iso is a few weeks old.
Ok, I concede it's probably worthwhile to do on a brand new release.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
WeeFella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WeeFella »

Add me to the list of noobs that failed four times to clean install Linux Mint 19 ( including two separate downloads ) before finally researching what may be the problem. First thing I eventually look at is the instruction to install without internet connection and then update.

"IT WORKS". :oops:
goldner_munzberg

Post by goldner_munzberg »

thank you, everyone
been ´at it´ since 05:00am this morning, that´s 11 hours (last time i did this many hours was with the window guys in the 90th).
trying to install lm19 - anything - on an amd thoshiba that happily ran 17.3 mate.
not connecting to the internet solved the problem (grub). after installation, updates installed without probs. seems to be running fine now.
just re - booted to double check - all green.
grateful
gms
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

an habit that I'd got into doing, was to always install When Off-line .. ..

this was partially due to the lousy internet bandwidth that I'd had in the past ..
- then only install the minimum of actual updates, where neccessary.
8)
the new LM19 series now makes that procedure, a bit more tricky, as it no longer follows those old update level(s).
- but I'll work that bit out.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Pierre wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am the new LM19 series now makes that procedure, a bit more tricky, as it no longer follows those old update level(s).
- but I'll work that bit out.
:)
Thankfully, you can still enable and tweak the level system in Mint 19:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - Use the Default Settings - - I'm still a bit flaky on that Level Four:
- being turned on - by default.
so I'll most likely knock out both Level 3 & 4 - untill I'm more comfortable about using either of them.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf »

Clearly the devs understand how major this issue is since it's stickied at the top, but if all UEFI installations are failing while online and the issue is so widespread then shouldn't this be mentioned and highlighted in the LM19 release notes (for each desktop, not just Cinnamon?)?

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php
michael louwe

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Post by michael louwe »

This is like deja vu. In March 2017, this install bug had also struck LM 18 and 18.1. ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=241723

Could this bug be related to the Secure Boot feature in UEFI computers which when enabled, requires all non-Windows bootloaders, eg grub-efi, to be signed or approved online by M$'s authentication servers or agents before the non-Windows bootloaders can be installed.?
....... Maybe, this querying for bootloader signatures by the LM Installer still goes on with Secure Boot disabled.
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I was able to install Linux Mint 19 with a work around from a person on IRC. If people with the issue can post a question in Installation subforum viewforum.php?f=46 and post results for

Code: Select all

lsblk; sudo blkid
While running the ISO, we can get them fixed
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

I am really disappointed with the update manager defaults. Why the heck are level 4 updates enabled in the first place? Why the heck are the levels view not enabled by default? Initially not very informative and confusing. That was really dumb. I'm glad I caught that before updating.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
gm10

Post by gm10 »

oldgranola wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm I am really disappointed with the update manager defaults. Why the heck are level 4 updates enabled in the first place? Why the heck are the levels view not enabled by default? Initially not very informative and confusing. That was really dumb. I'm glad I caught that before updating.
The idea behind the change was to update everything and timeshift restore where necessary. It should be less confusing to a newbie than having to sift through changelogs and wonder whether an update is safe. It's just a different approach at the end of the day, you can switch back to the old system easily enough.

The real problem with the Update Manager though is that its kernel update logic is bugged and that it updates you to a revoked kernel because of that.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm The real problem with the Update Manager though is that its kernel update logic is bugged and that it updates you to a revoked kernel because of that.
Yes, how is that even technically possible? I thought Ubuntu had pulled the -24 kernel from the repo's. :shock:
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i assume gm10 refers to this: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/issues/369...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm The real problem with the Update Manager though is that its kernel update logic is bugged and that it updates you to a revoked kernel because of that.
Yes, how is that even technically possible? I thought Ubuntu had pulled the -24 kernel from the repo's. :shock:
Ubuntu pulled the -24 version of the meta package. The Update Manager detects that the meta package is installed but then chooses to ignore that information and to rather install the latest versions of the individual components that are in the repo. Ubuntu did not pull those, that's why those using the Update Manager still get the -24 kernel while nobody else does.

Personally I rarely use the update manager so I hadn't understood the causality for the longest time. I finally ended up checking the Update Manager's source code though and created a bug report on github then (link was posted one up). Hopefully they'll fix it - it's hard to justify as working as intended given the problems it creates.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Thanks for the information, and also for the GitHub issue (to which I've subscribed). I'll try to get some developers' attention for it on IRC....
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I was bored last night so I tried another time to install 19 with MATE. I installed it without the network and it still was a MESS. Slow SLOW. Click and wait is all I get with 19 on Cinnamon or MATE. What is weird is the ISO Stick I boot from runs like a top it's after the install it turned to snit
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Reading through this thread I am frankly surprised that peeps are still having problems. I did as JeremyB suggested in the first post and have had no problems installing on my Acer or my wife's Lenovo or an old Toshiba that we keep for spare. On all of them after the install everything works fine including the kernel updates and internet connections all of which are wifi - perhaps I've just been lucky. Whatever the problems are I am sure as always they will be sorted out and perhaps the best thing for those having them might be to wait before installing 19, after there's no reason to do so apart from the fact that Tara is amazing :D :D
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

SwanRider wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am Reading through this thread I am frankly surprised that peeps are still having problems. I did as JeremyB suggested in the first post and have had no problems installing on my Acer or my wife's Lenovo or an old Toshiba that we keep for spare. On all of them after the install everything works fine including the kernel updates and internet connections all of which are wifi - perhaps I've just been lucky. Whatever the problems are I am sure as always they will be sorted out and perhaps the best thing for those having them might be to wait before installing 19, after there's no reason to do so apart from the fact that Tara is amazing :D :D
I myself find this very strange? When the first ISO (Beta) for Cinnamon 19 was posted I downloaded it and installed it to a USB stick. It ran like a top. A few weeks later I accidentally trashed my USB stick :oops: I didn't keep the older ISO so I downloaded the one that was released (Stable). I installed it and it was just not usable. SLOW Since then I've tried it 3 other installs with some of the 'band-aid' fixes and it's still just unusable. SLOW SLOW SLOW. It's like it cannot do more than one thing at a time ... no multi-tasking at all. CPU and memory look fine?

I thought I would try MATE last night and I get the same results. I'm tired now and I'm waiting for 19.1 and start testing again. No big deal, I've worked in the IT industry for years and I know how it can be at times :wink: If I remember correctly 17 was a pain until 17.3 and it is solid as a rock

Return to “Beginner Questions”