<FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Post by michael louwe »

@Pepi, .......
Pepi wrote:When the first ISO (Beta) for Cinnamon 19 was posted I downloaded it and installed it to a USB stick. It ran like a top. A few weeks later I accidentally trashed my USB stick.
Did you do a full install of LM 19 on a USB-stick, as opposed to creating a Live LM 19 USB or one with persistence.?
....... If so, such a setup on a USB-stick won't run or last for long, especially on a small 8GB USB-stick, afaik. A lot of write operations on a USB-stick will soon wear it out. A 64GB USB-stick may last a few months running Linux daily as a full install.
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

!! Update from the Linux Mint 19 release notes !!
An issue in the package ubuntu-system-adjustments prevents EFI installations from completing successfully when the computer is connected to the Internet. This issue was fixed in the repositories but it still affects the ISO installation images.

Until new ISO installation images are made, please perform the installation offline (i.e. do not connect to the Internet from the live session or from the installer).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm Until new ISO installation images are made
Yay! We're getting new iso's! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am @Pepi, .......
Pepi wrote:When the first ISO (Beta) for Cinnamon 19 was posted I downloaded it and installed it to a USB stick. It ran like a top. A few weeks later I accidentally trashed my USB stick.
Did you do a full install of LM 19 on a USB-stick, as opposed to creating a Live LM 19 USB or one with persistence.?
....... If so, such a setup on a USB-stick won't run or last for long, especially on a small 8GB USB-stick, afaik. A lot of write operations on a USB-stick will soon wear it out. A 64GB USB-stick may last a few months running Linux daily as a full install.
I was using two different 64 sticks. I was thinking maybe one of them was getting messed up. I did do a full install but I've done this for years and never had issues like this? Waiting for the new ISO and I will try it again. Retired and having FUN :mrgreen:
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm !! Update from the Linux Mint 19 release notes !!
An issue in the package ubuntu-system-adjustments prevents EFI installations from completing successfully when the computer is connected to the Internet. This issue was fixed in the repositories but it still affects the ISO installation images.

Until new ISO installation images are made, please perform the installation offline (i.e. do not connect to the Internet from the live session or from the installer).
I have done this, I tried do it the other way and just tried myself that way and it worked - then I came on here to see if was a problem or I had a problem with my usb. It has worked every time for me. I think it is just teething problems that no-one could have foreseen as that is what I understand bugs are -unforeseen and then a solution is worked on.
Helix-the-II

Post by Helix-the-II »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm !! Update from the Linux Mint 19 release notes !!

Yeah, it looks like when grub is being installed the ISO is informed there is an updated version and to grab that from Ubuntu's repos but can't find the package and falls over at that point. But if you install offline the installer just runs with the version of Grub on the ISO and just works.

I mean, if I'm reading the /var/log/syslog correctly from my ordeal trying to get the install working.

Looking on the bright side, I'm way more intimate with UEFI now than I was before!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

There is a fix other than install offline but there are some variables to the commands depending on the install, so that is why I do not post the commands. If someone wants to try to fix an install that ends with the failed to install to /target and grub-efi-amd64-signed, start a thread in Installation & Boot with the results from terminal from the booted ISO for lsblk; sudo blkid as dual boot systems will need a different solution than single boot
guerra08

Post by guerra08 »

Hey guys, do you have an ETA for the new ISOs?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Pepi, .......
Pepi wrote: I didn't keep the older ISO so I downloaded the one that was released (Stable). I installed it and it was just not usable. SLOW Since then I've tried it 3 other installs with some of the 'band-aid' fixes and it's still just unusable. SLOW SLOW SLOW. It's like it cannot do more than one thing at a time ... no multi-tasking at all. CPU and memory look fine?
I was using two different 64 sticks. I was thinking maybe one of them was getting messed up. I did do a full install but I've done this for years and never had issues like this?
So, your problem is likely because of failing USB-sticks, and not related to the OP.

When a fully-installed Linux USB-stick will wear out, slow down and eventually fail depends on its size/capacity(?GB), how often it is run and/or re-used/reinstalled. A fully-installed Linux 64GB USB-stick, if run for a few hours daily, will last just a few months. ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/295701/ ... 776#295776 (see Felipe's reply)
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
susie

Post by susie »

After installation on Dell XPS 9560, and using only intel integrated graphics, screen stuck on shutdown/reboot.

I tried to fix this with adding:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text acpi_rev_override=1 nouveau.runpm=0"
to
/etc/default/grub
and running update-grub2 but no luck
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 am @ Pepi, .......
Pepi wrote: I didn't keep the older ISO so I downloaded the one that was released (Stable). I installed it and it was just not usable. SLOW Since then I've tried it 3 other installs with some of the 'band-aid' fixes and it's still just unusable. SLOW SLOW SLOW. It's like it cannot do more than one thing at a time ... no multi-tasking at all. CPU and memory look fine?
I was using two different 64 sticks. I was thinking maybe one of them was getting messed up. I did do a full install but I've done this for years and never had issues like this?
So, your problem is likely because of failing USB-sticks, and not related to the OP.

When a fully-installed Linux USB-stick will wear out, slow down and eventually fail depends on its size/capacity(?GB), how often it is run and/or re-used/reinstalled. A fully-installed Linux 64GB USB-stick, if run for a few hours daily, will last just a few months. ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/295701/ ... 776#295776 (see Felipe's reply)
Nope ... Because I installed my 18.3 Cinnamon ISO on one of my 64 sticks and it run great? Appreciate the read above. Good information 8)
seven7folder

Post by seven7folder »

I have a brand new Dell XPS 9570 and I have tried for days to dual boot LM19 with Windows. I have followed all directions disable secure boot, ahci selected etc and I so frustrated with this issue. I deleted all partition, reinstall Windows and LM19 to no fruition. Disabled internet does not work as well. Any suggestions? I got to a point that it installed but froze and won't restart.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It appears to still be an issue in Ubuntu, from a recent bug report

Code: Select all

Jul 17 18:44:56 ubuntu ubiquity: Unpacking shim (13-0ubuntu2) ...
Jul 17 18:44:58 ubuntu ubiquity: Selecting previously unselected package shim-signed.
Jul 17 18:44:58 ubuntu ubiquity: Preparing to unpack .../shim-signed_1.34.9.2+13-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb ...
Jul 17 18:44:58 ubuntu ubiquity: Unpacking shim-signed (1.34.9.2+13-0ubuntu2) ...
Jul 17 18:44:59 ubuntu ubiquity: Setting up shim (13-0ubuntu2) ...
Jul 17 18:44:59 ubuntu ubiquity: Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed (1.93.2+2.02-2ubuntu8.1) ...
Jul 17 18:44:59 ubuntu ubiquity: Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: Could not add entry to BootOrder: No such file or directory
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such device or address.
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: dpkg: error processing package grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:  installed grub-efi-amd64-signed package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of shim-signed:
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:  shim-signed depends on grub-efi-amd64-signed; however:
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:   Package grub-efi-amd64-signed is not configured yet.
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: 
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: dpkg: error processing package shim-signed (--configure):
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: 
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity: Errors were encountered while processing:
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:  grub-efi-amd64-signed
Jul 17 18:45:26 ubuntu ubiquity:  shim-signed
Jul 17 18:45:29 ubuntu ubiquity: E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Jul 17 18:45:29 ubuntu grub-installer: info: Calling 'apt-install grub-efi-amd64-signed' failed
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

The new iso's are nearly there:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
These new ISO ship a handful of bug fixes which were released since the stable release. The main reason for the respin though is the new ubuntu-system-adjustments. Its postinst was broken in the stable release and now that a new Grub package hit the bionic repositories, it broke the EFI installation in online mode.

For this reason we're respinning the 64-bit ISO images.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Johann_Popper

Post by Johann_Popper »

Please retest the new ISOs installing offline (or I will upon release, of course), because Ubuntu has screwed up their grub2-efi-amd64-signed file install for years now. Since 14.10. What they do is, they fix the problem for online installs of grub2-efi by breaking the offline install for grub2-efi, then all offline installs fail. You can read all my endless -- and sadly fruitless -- Launchpad bug reports under my name. Nobody at canonical or in the community could fix it or get their ISOs spun properly. For the last few years, I was a KDE neon user, and there was a time where for a solid month KDE neon wasn't installable either online or offline, so Jonathan Riddell finally just dropped Ubiquity completely and switched to the Calamares installer. Mint might consider this as a long term solution if canonical can't get its act together. :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It looks like Ubuntu may have fixed the mess up as a new version of grub-efi-amd64-signed it out, the changelog shows

Code: Select all

grub2-signed (1.93.2) bionic; urgency=medium

* debian/control: add a dependency of grub-efi-amd64 | grub-pc to
    grub-efi-amd64-signed to make sure the grub postinst is triggered even for
    cases of old iso (without the fixed installer) installations with
    automatic download of updates enabled (LP: #1780897).

-- Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak <lukasz.zemczak@ubuntu.com>  Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:36:23 +0200

grub2-signed (1.93.1) bionic; urgency=medium

* debian/control: switch the grub-efi-amd64 dependency of
    grub-efi-amd64-signed to grub-efi-amd64-bin. (LP: #1778848)
  * debian/grub-efi-amd64-signed.postinst: invoke grub-install with
    --auto-nvram and pass the x86_64-efi target to it, making sure we always 
    install the right target. (LP: #1778848)
  * debian/control: rebuild against grub2 2.02-2ubuntu8.1.

-- Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak <lukasz.zemczak@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 27 Jun 2018 09:01:13 +0200
Bug report @ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1780897
Time to test my old ISO out and see if it works onliine

Edit: The Ubuntu change didn't fix the older Linux Mint ISO install on EFI
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 am @ Pepi, .......

I've done this for years and they generally don't fail. Actually using Lubuntu right now from a 32gb Sandisk usb stick. I have used brands other than Sandisk that failed, and 1 Sandisk fit that was just too small and heat ruined it, but the larger Sandisk usbs do fine. I mostly got into doing this with Chromebooks and to test distros. I've done it for years and keep hearing how they will fail. Just use Sandisk usbs and don't use the tiny ones. I'm using Sandisk Glide right now.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

KBD47 wrote:I've done this for years and they generally don't fail.
Are you saying that you have run such a fully-installed Linux 32GB Sandisk USB Flash-drive for a few hours daily and it did not fail after a few months - like the normal running of Linux that has been fully-installed on an internal HDD/SSD for a few hours daily.?
....... Running the Linux USB occasionally or for a week or two of testing does not apply = not run as a daily driver.

Maybe the computer OEMs should replace all their new HDDs/SSDs with Sandisk USB Flash-drives = can make more profits.*sarcasm*
joyang90

Post by joyang90 »

Good thing to always read a thread before doing an installation. Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”