<FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

<FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Post by JeremyB »

!!! UPDATED !!!

For the 64-bit releases of Linux Mint 19 there was an issue with ubuntu-system-adjustments preventing EFI installations from completing successfully when connected to the Internet. This has been fixed in the repositories and new ISOs have been made available.
  • New ISOs are on the download page and have v2 at the end of the filename (e.g., "linuxmint-19-edition-64bit-v2.iso").
  • If you have already installed Linux Mint 19, you don't need to do anything as this issue only affects new installs using the old ISOs.
  • If you haven't installed Linux Mint 19 yet but you have an old ISO (without v2 at the end of the filename) you can safely install from that if you just make sure your computer is not connected to the Internet during installation.
  • This issue doesn't affect 32 bit installs.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updated original post with current status
WharfRat

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read

Post by WharfRat »

Hi JeremyB ,

From experience, even after installing the latest packages during the installation, additional packages require updating upon initial boot of the system.

Should users refrain from updating/upgrading altogether or can/should upgrades be applied post installation :?:
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

There seems to be no issues from updating after booting into the installed Linux Mint as long as the updates don't include kernel 4.15.0-24. I have that kernel running on 2 laptops without issues, but many people have issues with it
cryptodan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cryptodan »

I can attest to the issues, and installing the updates after mint 19 install is fine.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1
I have always installed without connection, in spite of the nag, and have never had any the issues mentioned.
4.15.0-24 is running on three installs without issues. It was still in the repositories late yesterday when I installed
19 Cinnamon so I took the kernel and no issues.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

JeremyB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm Due to numerous issues posted here and on ubuntuforums.org recently, I would advise anyone installing Linux Mint 19 from the ISO to do so without an internet connection, install without updates. There seems to be an issue with some recent Ubuntu updates
Or, they could disable level 4 updates and run the other updates to avoid a kernel update. The default Mint kernel is fine. The .24 kernel has been the issue, unless I missed something.
cryptodan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cryptodan »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm
JeremyB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm Due to numerous issues posted here and on ubuntuforums.org recently, I would advise anyone installing Linux Mint 19 from the ISO to do so without an internet connection, install without updates. There seems to be an issue with some recent Ubuntu updates
Or, they could disable level 4 updates and run the other updates to avoid a kernel update. The default Mint kernel is fine. The .24 kernel has been the issue, unless I missed something.
The issue is with the grub2-efi-amd64-signed file not installing and therefore no grub being installed.
setiawanhu

Post by setiawanhu »

Hi!

I'm installing linux mint 19 with internet connection works perfectly fine, only have issues on updating the kernel to 4.15.0-23 or 4.15.0-24 (syslog and kern.log file size became so huge)
binocry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by binocry »

only have problem very slow to boot
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

My experimenting with Mint 19 has made me swear a lot. I think I'm going to wait awhile to revisit ... could just be my older computer will not do well with Mint 19. My main problem is it is so slow and unresponsive to mouse clicks. Waiting for 19.1 to try again.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

cryptodan wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 pm
KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm
The issue is with the grub2-efi-amd64-signed file not installing and therefore no grub being installed.
I had this problem when trying install on my wife's laptop - It is an easy solve, just don't connect during the install from the ISO,(as is said here) providing it is okay then the Grub2 is on it and it installs and works great. After the install and the starting of the firewall, connected to internet and did updates etc and no problems with Tara at all.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I thought the main installer for Mint checked for an internet connection and will not install without it?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You can for sure install without Internet, but doesn't the installer have a checkbox where you can disable the downloading of updates, anyway? I've always done updates only after installation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Got me wondering now. Back to an install again LOL :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

4.15.0-27 is already in bionic-proposed.... Apparently -26 didn't meet quality standards, too.

I do hope it'll come soon.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:41 pm 4.15.0-27 is already in bionic-proposed.... Apparently -26 didn't meet quality standards, too.

I do hope it'll come soon.
No, -27 fixes an ext4 regression in -24, nothing to do with -26 quality.
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TJMcK »

I too had problems installing LM iso from a USB flashdrive, and was getting the error message that grub2-efi-amd64-signed file not installing. But I will try installing without internet connection (and without updates) -- hopefully that will solve my installation problems.

But, I do have a question about instalation: If I want Mint to boot using enabled UEFI motherboard settings, do I have to cutomize the partitions myself (as described in: https://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-15-04-in ... -firmware/) or is there a way to do this "automatically" when installing? (I am only installing LM on the internal SSD, and it is NOT a dual boot.)
--------------------
EDIT: LM19 installed flawlessly without the "grub2-efi-amd64-signed file" error, when installing without the internet!
As well, it appears to have installed properly in an efi boot partition, as I can boot having CSM disable (and no legacy option) -- that's great!
And finally, I was concerned about it having problems installing on an internal SSD (as mentioned in other msgs in this thread), but all seems well.

LM19 seems to be running as I hoped it would...
Last edited by TJMcK on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I am thinking some of the issues with installing with updates is indeed related to installing on SSD's as I just installed LM19 Cinnamon on an older laptop and had no issues with the install

Someone just reported issues on IRC installing to a normal HDD
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JeremyB wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm I am thinking some of the issues with installing with updates is indeed related to installing on SSD's as I just installed LM19 Cinnamon on an older laptop and had no issues with the install
Possibly only in as much as the SSD generates less events for filling the entropy pool. Easy to test: Try the -27 kernel from bionic-proposed. If it was the SSD they'll break as well, because that wasn't changed. They'll probably work fine though.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Installing -27 as we speak, from:

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-proposed main
Testing....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”