<FIXED> Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read

Post by JeremyB »

My recent install didn't even change the kernel, rebooted and had 4.15.0-20. I know it was downloading updates from my phone, I could even see it in the window in Mint downloading the package lists from the linuxmint.com and ubuntu.com mirror
I am not sure what the cause is but there are a few recent bugs reported to ubuntu for the ubiquity package. This is a critical time for Ubuntu as in a couple weeks is when they usually offer and upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 and release the 18.04.1 point release
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm Installing -27 as we speak, from:

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-proposed main
Testing....
Wow! Much improved boot time on my laptop with SSD. :mrgreen:

Caution: not fit for Linux beginners. Don't try this at home. Wait for the official kernel update.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
emjaycee

Post by emjaycee »

I've tried installing Mint 19 (all flavours) on my old computer (Cinnamon installed just fine on my new computer a while ago now) and have had some issues with every install. Mate just didn't seem to be working 'properly' but it did install. Last night, Cinnamon wouldn't install at all (3 attempts) and it was because grub 2 wouldn't install. This morning, Xfce wouldn't install at all (3 attempts - 2 USB and 1 DVD), again because grub 2 wouldn't install. I can (and will) try installing without an internet connection and see if that works. I know everything is working because I installed Manjaro Xfce in between as a test and it installed just fine. I always checksum the ISOs just to play safe and so far have never had any issues. Further reading seems to infer there is a problem with Ubuntu. Again, for what it's worth, I installed Ubuntu Mate last night and that installed just fine as well... just saying :)

Cheers.
Michael
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

My attempt at testing LM 19 from a USB stick locked up after one of the five dots turned green. I guess I will not proceed to the install step.

Does the USB stick boot record messages/logs the same as Linux on a disk?
emjaycee

Post by emjaycee »

Again, for what it's worth, the message from my DVD failed install was exactly the same as my messages from my failed USB installs. I am pleased to report though that I did successfully manage to install Mint 19 Xfce after I disconnected my ethernet cable... so thanks for the great tip :)

Cheers
Michael
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

A general question, since many users (including myself) have trouble with this new Mint
Is it possible to upload new ISO images which will address all these issues ?

... and more issues, like the following one, which can be easily verified:

Linux Mint 19 64 bit MATE edition
Computer: ASUS ROG GL552VW (Optimus) laptop

1) I plug the USB stick in one of my usb ports and turn on my ASUS Laptop

In BIOS Legacy mode

2) The installer screen pops up. "Automatic boot in .... seconds", I press <ENTER>
3) The GRUB menu pops up. I choose "Start in compatibility mode". I press <ENTER>
4) At the bottom of the screen ...

Code: Select all

Loading casper/vmlinuz ... Ok
Loading casper/initrd.lz ... Ok
The computer reboots ....

Thx in advance!
Vas
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Just a note to everybody asking for help with their issue here: Please read the how to get help link in the big read banner above. If you follow those steps surely somebody will try to help you. We won't do it here.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

cryptodan wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 pm
KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm
JeremyB wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm Due to numerous issues posted here and on ubuntuforums.org recently, I would advise anyone installing Linux Mint 19 from the ISO to do so without an internet connection, install without updates. There seems to be an issue with some recent Ubuntu updates
Or, they could disable level 4 updates and run the other updates to avoid a kernel update. The default Mint kernel is fine. The .24 kernel has been the issue, unless I missed something.
The issue is with the grub2-efi-amd64-signed file not installing and therefore no grub being installed.
Sure seems that way, quite a few bug reports for that package in Ubuntu now. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... id&start=0
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Petermint wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm My attempt at testing LM 19 from a USB stick locked up after one of the five dots turned green. I guess I will not proceed to the install step.

Does the USB stick boot record messages/logs the same as Linux on a disk?
This could be a graphics card problem and not related to the kernel problem being discussed here. what video card does your machine have?
if it's Nvidia please start another thread with Problem loading with Nvidia card. or something to that effect.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Start another thread regardless. I'm pretty sure I know what the issue is and it's got nothing to do with video cards, but I'll not discuss unrelated problems in this thread. Again, how to get help.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

TJMcK wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm I too had problems installing LM iso from a USB flashdrive, and was getting the error message that grub2-efi-amd64-signed file not installing. But I will try installing without internet connection (and without updates) -- hopefully that will solve my installation problems.

But, I do have a question about instalation: If I want Mint to boot using enabled UEFI motherboard settings, do I have to cutomize the partitions myself (as described in: https://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-15-04-in ... -firmware/) or is there a way to do this "automatically" when installing? (I am only installing LM on the internal SSD, and it is NOT a dual boot.)
Hi no you don't just do the normal install and let Mint sort if you are doing a clean install. Once you have completed the install, then turn on the firewall and then connect then do the updates - I have done this 3 times now and it works every time without fail.
uname

Post by uname »

Greetings all. Brand new here. Been away from Linux for a long time, but decided to return to it with Linux Mint 19.

Unfortunately, during the installation, I've encountered the same troubles with grub2-efi-amd64-signed discussed in this thread. However disconnecting my internet connection before the installation did not resolve the issue. Thankfully installing the previous LTS of Linux Mint (Cinnamon) worked just fine, as do the latest LTS flavors of Ubuntu (such as Ubuntu Budgie), but I would really like to get Mint 19 up and running.

When the installer quits due to the grub2-efi-amd64-signed error, how far along did the installation make it? In other words, does the installer finish everything else that is needed besides grub, and if that's the case, could I try manually installing grub?

Or better yet, could I run the installer and tell it not to install grub, then manually install it afterwards and everything work out okay?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Just noticed: since yesterday, kernel -28 has replaced -27 in bionic-proposed. That probably means waiting longer.... :(
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm Just noticed: since yesterday, kernel -28 has replaced -27 in bionic-proposed. That probably means waiting longer.... :(
Yes, and for the first few hours the amd64 kernel image was missing from the release. It continues being a bumpy ride over at Canonical. ;)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm for the first few hours the amd64 kernel image was missing from the release. It continues being a bumpy ride over at Canonical. ;)
Things like that happen regularly with "proposed".... They just dump packages in it when they're ready for testing, sometimes even irrespective of dependencies.

The "proposed" repo is not for the faint of heart. :mrgreen:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm
gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm for the first few hours the amd64 kernel image was missing from the release. It continues being a bumpy ride over at Canonical. ;)
Things like that happen regularly with "proposed".... They just dump packages in it when they're ready for testing, sometimes even irrespective of dependencies.

Yeah, better use the kernel team PPA directly, they never blunder like that as far as I've seem- ;)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:52 pm
Pjotr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeah, better use the kernel team PPA directly, they never blunder like that as far as I've seem- ;)
Well, strictly speaking it's no blunder.... After all, "proposed" is only meant for testing packages, not for maintaining a stable system. Perhaps it's simply efficient: the sooner a package (irrespective of its dependencies) becomes available for testing and analysis, the better.

The kernel team PPA on the other hand, does aim at being useful for (more or less) stable systems.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

uname wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm Greetings all. Brand new here. Been away from Linux for a long time, but decided to return to it with Linux Mint 19.

Unfortunately, during the installation, I've encountered the same troubles with grub2-efi-amd64-signed discussed in this thread. However disconnecting my internet connection before the installation did not resolve the issue. (...)
Hello, can you start a new thread for your questions? Thank you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

Yep, with Internet- Grub2 failed
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I started again with a USB 3 stick. LM 19 clean installed worked for me with network disconnected. Applied all updates after install finished. Selected the wipe disk option. Oops, forgot about the dual boot to Windows. :-)

Only incompatibility is Firefox which seems to use a different password file. Had to juggle key3.db and key4.db. All other software is the same or better. Restoring settings for other applications from a backup is just a series of file copies.

I find a disconnected install solves a lot of problems across many operating systems. It also helps isolate the cause of problems. Should be standard operating procedure.
Last edited by Petermint on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”