"Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module" [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

"Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module" [SOLVED]

Post by cecilieaux »

I watch the various unpacking, triggering and other messages when I use Update Manager and I have noticed that I frequently get something like this

Code: Select all

Gtk-Message **: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module" at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22/Gtk2.pm line 126
I know that Unity is the Ubuntu desktop gadget that drove me to Linux Mint, but that now has been abandoned. Why would this be a problem in Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"

Post by smokinmoe »

Have you checked that your Software Sources and that they're ok and correct for your version of Mint?
You'll need to provide more information to get help => READ: How To Get Help!
darsh

Post by darsh »

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu Linux, but you may not have to worry as Mint may only use some unity components for some things, to a lesser degree or in a different manner than Ubuntu.

I also watch the Update Manager's details and have noticed a multitude of llll-ubuntu-####'s.

Unless the problem is with your computer itself, that would explain why you have the issue both places.

That component is used by something(s) to do something(s), it may or may not affect you significantly/notably, depending on your preferences.

If you want to fix it, I would try a simple

sudo apt-get install unity-gtk-module

which is an approach that can work sometimes. Or

sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity-gtk-module

if after attempting to install it the terminal informs you that it is installed already.

Sometimes you have to manually move files to where they want it also.

Good luck.
Last edited by darsh on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

Here's what happened:

~ $ sudo apt-get install unity-gtk-module
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package unity-gtk-module
~ $ 
So I'm guessing I don't have the right software sources. (I have never been happy with 18; I am preparing for 19.)
Cecilieaux
--
darsh

Post by darsh »

I wonder if this would work: https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... ule-common

The 'install' button for 'unity-gtk-module-common.' (Or perhaps apt-get install would've worked but the package name we want (unity-gtk-module-common) didn't match the component name we entered (unity-gtk-module).)

It may still require you put the file in the directory it looked for it at, ideally not though.

If you don't need it for anything you can think of, I would ignore it. Most systems have something that doesn't work, on any OS or version of it. And we don't always notice.

But I do recommend 19, even if they are still hashing out a few things it's a big step up from 18.3 in terms of graphics, a few neat features added, and I got some added compatibility out of it, so you may also. (Sometimes it's a new computer that suddenly makes everything works.)

I like your signature by the way, the 'just when I think I'm out of newbiedom, this happiness.' I develop web and computer applications and switched my main OS to Linux Mint a year or two ago and do a lot of technical things and have learned so much from a lot of things I wanted or had to do, the benefit to these problems is we learn more fixing them, and yet I still occasionally encounter a confusing problem or messing something up. I fix so many computers, and then break mine. Lol.

Most of what I'm sharing as advice is stuff that makes sense in principle and has worked on occasion for me, I get things right, or close to it, a little over half the time, but I apologies if the end conclusion of my assistance, an attempt to learn with you, doesn't yield the desired results. Sometimes just messing around with things bouncing ideas off others you end up figuring something out yourself, too. But if not, ideally someone more aware would ride in at some point as a night in shining armor.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

cecilieaux wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am So I'm guessing I don't have the right software sources. (I have never been happy with 18; I am preparing for 19.)
unity-gtk-module does not exist by default on Mint nor is it needed. The error message is coming from a perl5 module, which is also not installed by default. Basically you installed some software that's causing the problems. If you want to install the unity module regardless, the package to install would be unity-gtk2-module or unity-gtk3-module.

If you go for Mint 19, please make it a clean install, otherwise you are likely to retain the problems of your existing install.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

There was a much simpler solution. I was missing

-common
I'd typed:

sudo apt-get install unity-gtk-module
instead of

sudo apt-get install unity-gtk-module-common
In my defense, the

-common
was missing from the original suggestion. Happens in the best families.

With the complete name, it worked! Thank you all!!!!
Cecilieaux
--

Return to “Beginner Questions”