losing wired network connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

losing wired network connection

Post by jsb »

Wired network connection to router has failed for machines running Mint twice in the last few weeks. Both times it was not working for 3 different machines running Mint 18 or 17. One of the three is a laptop and for that the wireless connection still worked, while wired did not. Also connecting the laptop directly to the modem worked.

The wired connection to the router still worked for our "smart" Blu-ray player, had no problems watching Netflix. The Blu-ray is the only non-Linux device connected by wire. We also have an Ooma and that continued to work, but it is connected directly to the modem.

Both times this happened the wired connection randomly came back after I had tested a number of things, with no changes having been made. In fact, both times it came back just when I was about to post about it here, so this time I decided I would carry on and post anyway :) .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bendo

Re: losing wired network connection

Post by Bendo »

Yep happens to me as well.
Haven't figured out why as yet. Seems random.
Once the network goes down, I click on the network connection on the panel and disconnect and then reconnect again. No need to reboot.
Everything comes back up and the connection is re-established immediately.
Can happen a couple of times a day.
I'm running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
Network onboard is intel 1000GBs DHCP.
Other machines I have not noticed falling off so unsure.
It doesn't seem to annoy me enough at the moment but I'll try some basic troubleshooting and come back some time.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

Hi, for my issue disconnect and reconnect did not work and even rebooting did not bring it back.

It happened once, very briefly, since my posting and I immediately left to turn on another computer to verify that network was off there too. It was working on the second computer. But then when I went back to the first computer it was back on there too.

I didn't post hardware because it happened with 4 different machines, they are all running XFCE. My first thought was that it was the router failing, though it seemed strange that wired would fail but wireless would not.

However, since the blu-ray is set to use wired network and continued to work, I don't think that is it. Unless that falls back to wireless without changing settings and also continues to indicate in settings that it is running on wired network, even though actually on wireless. I will have to be sure to verify that says it is on wired again during the time when wired is not working for the computers. I think I had done that but might have been right as it was coming back, as happened with the recent incident where it came back in the time it took me to turn on a second computer.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I was getting frequent disconnect and re-connect messages on my wired connection, too, but I put it down to the fact that I am using an old powered Targus Dock as a USB extender for my Keyboard, Mouse. (it also has a network connector in it)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
obg

Post by obg »

So... - No solutions? I am using a stationary PC with no wifi. Disconnect/reconnect does not work. Are we supposed to change distro?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Try sudo service network-manager restart from the terminal as a work-around to reconnect following a disconnection.

If you happen to be wired via Homeplug/Powerline adapters setting up a start-up task to regularly ping your router may also help.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
forty-two

Post by forty-two »

Started happening to me recently, seemed random. Could ping out OK but Firefox, Opera could not connect. Other coputers on the local network could use the Internet OK, but not this one.
Going to ControlCenter/network found that the DNS tab had no entry. Did an Add and entered my Gateway ip (192.168.0.10) and the Internet was available until the next re-boot. Tried several 'solutions' but the one that worked, most recently, was to
sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
answer YES to allow dynamic updates
sudo reboot
Now I can access the Mint Forums again.
thetim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thetim »

The work-a-round that I've used is "sudo dhclient -r" to release ip address, then "sudo dhclient" to renew. Then everything seems to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”