How to read encrypted external hd on another computer ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alex1111
Level 1
Level 1

How to read encrypted external hd on another computer ?

Post by alex1111 »

Hi,

I have created an encrypted hd with Disks. If I try to mount it on another Mint computer I'm asked the passphrase, get through, then a message box pop up telling me that I have not the rights to access it !

Any body could enlight me on what's going on there ?

Thanks,

Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to read encrypted external hd on another computer ?

Post by GS3 »

The way I see it the password to the encrypted disk is one thing but the permissions to access it is another different thing. The disk and its files would need to be accessible to all users or you would need to access it with the credentials of the user who has permission.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along soon.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
alex1111
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alex1111 »

Thanks So, if I change rights with chmod (or chown) I should be able to access the files :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

alex1111 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 am Thanks So, if I change rights with chmod (or chown) I should be able to access the files :)
Well, there's no harm in trying because you can chown it back again.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”