If I require more HDD space and therefore resizing virtualbox: to encrypt install or keep unencrypted?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stx8

If I require more HDD space and therefore resizing virtualbox: to encrypt install or keep unencrypted?

Post by stx8 »

Hi all,

I tried to search but I think the problem is that I am not familiar enough to search more specific. If there is something wrong with my post, do advise and I can delete.

Onto the issue:

I had created a 10GB "VDI" on VirtualBox and installed Linux Mint 19. I chose encryption, and I BELIEVE LVM options. My host system is Windows.

I ran out of space on the 10GB. I followed an online guide that suggested the following:
-Backup the VDI (in case things go wrong :) )
-Create new larger VDI -Boot with LiveCD
-Copy using DD the old "HD" to the new "HD"
-Resize the unallocated space

This was all great.

However, upon booting up the "new" VDI, I noticed I still had the space issue. GPart on the VM shows the new drive space (30GB), but it is encrypted. I imagine I could not do the copy with DD because of the encryption option.

What should I do now? Since I don't have a ton installed, is it easier to just spin up a new machine and manually mount + copy over data files?
And not set up OS level encryption this time?

Thanks, Drew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: If I require more HDD space and therefore resizing virtualbox: to encrypt install or keep unencrypted?

Post by smokinmoe »

Perhaps you could try to resize the VDI using the Virtual Media Manager..
Form the main Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager choose File/Virtual Media Manager.
Locate the virtual disk you want to change and click on it.
There should be a slider at the bottom of the Virtual Media Manager window that allows you to resize the virtual disk:
Screenshot from 2018-07-18 12-33-39.png
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: If I require more HDD space and therefore resizing virtualbox: to encrypt install or keep unencrypted?

Post by AndyMH »

Perhaps you could try to resize the VDI using the Virtual Media Manager..
I think this depends on whether you created your VM as either static or dynamically allocated, with one you can resize with the other you can't, but can't remember which. What you can do is clone the existing VM (right click on it in the VB window) and resize the clone, in a terminal:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyhd Windows71.vdi --resize 30000
This resizes my win7 VM from whatever it was to 30GB.

10GB is a little small for a mint installation. My root is 22GB (admittedly I've got a lot of stuff installed) and that's not making any allowance for /home.

Alternatively, since you don't have a lot to lose, I'd start again and re-install mint in a VM of around 20GB.

In my view you've got it the wrong way round, mint should be your main OS with win in a VM :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Since you have a logical volume you can just add another newly created virtual disk, mark it as an LVM member and extend it that way.

Return to “Beginner Questions”