Scanner problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Scanner problem

Post by T J Tulley »

Gloria includes a new feature - the Scanner Utility in MintMenu. It reports "No devices found". It tells me to make sure my device is connected and configured.

It is an (ancient) Microtek Phantom 336 CX (Parallel port) which worked under Windows98 but not under WindowsXP. It is connected and powered, but I don't know about configuring it.

I've just looked at the Sane list of Microtek scanners and it is not listed there - the nearest are the Phantom 330 CX and Phantom 636 CX (both Parport) which are fully supported and the Scanmaker 336 CX (SCSI) which is not. I have looked there several times previously.

Any hope?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Scanner problem

Post by revdjenk »

T.J.
You are correct, I also do not find the Phantom 336CX

I found these at the SANE site: http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends-1.0.13.html

ScanMaker 336 CX SCSI unsupported Probably unsupported. Seems to be similar to the Microtek 330 CX and is detected by the microtek2 backend. Scanning doesn't seem to work however.

and for the Phantom (using microtek2 backend)
Phantom 330CX Parport complete
SlimScan C3 Parport complete
Phantom 636 SCSI complete
Phantom 636CX Parport complete
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by revdjenk »

Part 2

Maybe like me, you will have to bite the bullet and, using the SANE site as a guide, purchase another model. It seems the best experiences are with Epson, HP, Fuji (because they offer Linux drivers) and Canon (because of community-written drivers).

God Bless
Doug

Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Hi Theo,

There might be some hope ! I have now been using Linux Mint very successfully for over three months now as my main desktop. But there is no way that I would have considered the "switchover" without my trusty Epson scanner working. I spent many hours trying everything. Eventually - success! I achieved this by locating the installed Windows driver, moving it to the Linux environment and then pointing the Linux snapscan.conf scanner config file to it. I have already detailed this in another forum, but have transcribed my suggestion below as I think its principle might also be made to work for any problem scanner.

Just one thing I need to mention first. My Epson Scanner did work with Windows XP which, of course, used a different style of driver to its predecessors. But I think the following is still worth a try if you are game:-

1) It is a good idea to have the following packages are installed (use Package Manager):-
- libsane
- libsane-extras
- sane
- sane-utils
- xsane
- xsane-common
- flegita
- flegita-gimp

2) Install your scanner under Windows and find its driver file from the installation directory (C:WINDOWS\system32 ?) or extract it from a cab on the drivers CD. The
driver for my Epson was called esfw52.bin - yours will have a different name, but should end with .bin. You may need to hunt around to find out what the driver file is
called. For the purpose of this explanation I shall call it: driver.bin.
3) On Linux as root type:-
cd /usr/share/sane/snapscan

if the snapscan directory does not exist, then create it (still as root):-

mkdir snapscan

4) Copy the driver file "driver.bin" to the snapscan directory. Remember both directory and file must be owned by root.
5) As root, edit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf and replace the firmware directory in the first lines with /usr/share/sane/snapscan/driver.bin. Save and close the file.
6) Log out of root and in as your normal user.
7) The scanner may now work with both Flegita and Xsane.

Obviously, some of the above requires some command-line knowledge in Linux, though it is not too hard. The editing of the snapscan.conf is probably best done by navigating to it using Nautilus. I believe there is now an option to "Edit as Root", but I have not yet installed Gloria and so cannot be sure. The alternative is to use the Unix Vi editor which is not for the faint-hearted. Goo Luck.

T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Bob-the-Cat:
I've got as far as installing all your recommended files and cd-ing to /etc/share/sane/snapscan - then I failed to find any .bin files in Windows/sysem32. There is a folder relating to my Minolta Dimage slide scanner - no .bin file in it - and nothing relating to the Microtek (though that might not have been installed when my Win-XP-Pro died in July 2007).

| shall give up at this point for the time being.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by revdjenk »

T.J.

Although you mention that this has a parallel port, does it also have a usb connection? You would have better luck with this? or I have seen printer/usb converter cables, but then, they might be the same price as a new scanner.

God Bless
Doug

kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher »

You also might check that you have user permissions for the scanner. My Microteck Scanmaker X6EL could not be found with Mint until I gave my user account permissions to the scanner group.

Hope this helps.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again - but where is the group requiring permissions? I can't see anything relevant in /home/theo (with hidden files showing).

Is there anywhere I can see all connected hardware - whether there's a driver or not? Can't find it in Control panel - used to be there a few versions of Mint ago. (Even then it didn't show my monitor). That ought to show both scanners - but I don't think there was a permissions option there.

Can't see any mention in syslog.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher »

The user permissions are under Administration then Users & Groups. The permission to use scanners is no longer there in Mint-7. It was there in previous versions so this is probably not your problem. When you access the Users & Groups GUI, you will need to unlock it with your admin password and then select your user name then properties.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

Type "sudo su" in your terminal and login as root. Then type "xsane". You will problably get a warning message saying that it is not recommended to open xsane as root. Just ignore it.

You should be able to use your scanner now.

Return to “Newbie Questions”