Can I nudge the desktop along and up by 3mm ?[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Can I nudge the desktop along and up by 3mm ?[SOLVED]

Post by bill_steamshovel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 am

Hello,

Steaming along here. ........Am running the USB stick on the big desktop now running Linux Mint CInnamon off the USB.

Working well - no wifi to mess me about like it did with the laptop. ...... My inxi -Fzxd file is attached

Got a lovely crisp desktop at 1920x1080 unfortunately the supertray and the start button are almost but not quite completeltely off the screen. I can just manage to click on them with the mouse.

If I do a full screen print the screenshot software does "see" the entire buttons.
Buttons seen by screenshot.png
but a human can only see the very tops of the buttons..... see attached picture
buttons seen by human.png
If I have an app running a full screen the edges of the full screen are just off the edge of the display.

There has gotta be a zillion workarounds - I dont want to drop back to the coarser resolution so am wondering what would you do ?

1. Somehow nudge the entire destop 3mm up and to the right ? How would I do this ? Maybe a panning adjustment exists? google doesnt seem to know
2. Somehow use the hot corners to act as the 4 buttons ?
3. Make hot keys or aliases ie altM for Menu Alt F for firefox Alt T for Terminal etc
4. make new gui shortcuts inside the visible area ?

Having a great time learning how this all works, did my first gimp files and my first Libre files today. The screen seems to be slightly sharper and slightly better resolution than windows was able to do with the same graphics card and monitor. Maybe its just an illusion.

Am slowly remembering things like pwd and kill and ps -e and rmdir and cp ...... have a vague memory of redirecting output to a file using | or >> ? but its just a bit fuzzy at the moment but could be handy in the future. I think we used to have aliases so that we could use the same commands in both DOS and Unix

Seeya

Bill
Attachments
inxi-Fzxd.odf.odt
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by bill_steamshovel on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can I nudge the desktop along and up by 3mm ?

Post by Mattyboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 am

Check your monitor settings for the over scan issue.

I've got a Sumsung TV as a second monitor that I fixed this on by reading the manual..... wide, 16:9, 16:10 etc You can also move the position up/down/left/right per pixel line...shrink etc.

DuckDuckgo the monitor model number with the phrase "over scan".

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am

Your monitor may well have an 'Auto Adjust' button or menu item that does the nudging.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

mikerr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikerr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 pm

One fix is to move the panel/tray to the top:

-right click the the panel, select "modify panel" / "move panel" then click the top of the screen

or similar, make the panel height larger:
- right click panel, select "panel settings" / "use customisd panel size" / drag panel height to the right
Last edited by mikerr on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Is that something archaic like an analog (VGA) connection to the screen? Because I've never seen this happen with a digital one unless you are somehow running the wrong resolution for your screen.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Is that something archaic like an analog (VGA) connection to the screen? Because I've never seen this happen with a digital one unless you are somehow running the wrong resolution for your screen.

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Both running through HDMI. I had the same problem until I 'flicked the switch' on the TV settings. Easy enough fix but it does happen on modern kit.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:06 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm
It happens with my (older) Toshiba TV which is connected via HDMI, so analogue connection is not the issue, the primary monitor on this dual setup is VGA and has NO problems.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 am

in nvidia-settings select your monitor be sure it is set as primary and you can try the underscan

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:18 am

Mattyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Both running through HDMI. I had the same problem until I 'flicked the switch' on the TV settings. Easy enough fix but it does happen on modern kit.
lsemmens wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:06 pm
It happens with my (older) Toshiba TV which is connected via HDMI, so analogue connection is not the issue, the primary monitor on this dual setup is VGA and has NO problems.
Ok ok, I forgot about people using TVs as outputs. TVs override input resolution all the time due to the nature of the various inputs they have to deal with. You guys are right. And I didn't mean VGA necessarily does cause problems, you may just have to adjust the input in the monitor settings.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can I nudge the desktop along and up by 3mm ?[SOLVED]

Post by bill_steamshovel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Initial solve is done by increasing height of the supertray.

Will investigate the other recommendations after I find out more about this TV set.

Getting brave now - tried Tara running off the USB on my wifes laptop all seems fine

Working up the guts to do a proper install off the USb will be in next couple of days.

Bill

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 am

@trytip, where can I find the nVidia Setings to which you refer? All I can find is just the display settings in Preferences.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:19 pm

if you installed nvidia drivers search menu for nvidia or run nvidia-settings in terminal. if the settings don't stick after reboot you'll need to run nvidia-settings as root:

Code: Select all

sudo -i
nvidia-settings
you shouldn't need much underscan move the slider and apply. maybe underscan is not your issue but desktop pannel? can't be certain unless you underscan first.

bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bill_steamshovel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks Try,

I just spent aaaaaaages googling to find out what you posted above - thats definitely the best answer.

Feel like a right goose. Your suggestion works perfectly.

Came back here to post the good news not realising you had already done it.

Bill

Return to “Newbie Questions”