SOLVED USB Serial Com Initialization

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ken Kloster

SOLVED USB Serial Com Initialization

Post by Ken Kloster »

07/14/18

Recently I installed Arduino's IDE and could not get it to open the USB port.
I uninstalled "Brltty" com port driver per instructions found in this forum. See Below:
sudo apt -get remove brltty

If you run this routine through the terminal, you can verify your serial ports. This will all list USBs devises attached ie. /dev/ttyUSB0.
ls/dev/ttyUSB*

If you run this routine through the terminal, you will see what serial ports exist and what drivers are being used.
dmesg | tail

Still the Arduino IDE could not open the USB port (/dev/USB0).

Since I needed a simple modem program for hardware/software development use anyway, I went to the Digi website and downloaded and installed their modem program for Linux. After installation, I found that the X-CTU program could not open the USB port either. The X-CTU did however give me a hint. The reason I could not open the port was that I did not have permission to open the port. In researching the problem on the Digi site (www.digi.com/xctu), I found out that Linux will not allow anybody access its com ports unless they have been given permission.

Below is how you get permission:
1, Open a terminal console.
2, Execute the following command where <user> is the user you want to add to the dialout
group: sudo usermod -a -G dialout <user>
3, Log out and log in again with your user.

After doing that, the X-CTU program worked!!

When I loaded the Arduino IDE, I found that it also works.

Hope this little note helps someone.

Ken
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BDW

Re: SOLVED USB Serial Com Initialization

Post by BDW »

It certainly did help me.
I had a problem connecting a "cheap" arduino board, equipped with a CH340 USB to serial chip.
After reading your post and following the instructions it works like a charm.

Thank you Ken.

Return to “Beginner Questions”