MintUpdate not installing updates [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

MintUpdate not installing updates [Solved]

Post by T J Tulley »

This is a new problem to me: the padlock in the panel is open, indicating updates available.
I click on it (in another workplace) and the mintUpdate window appears, announcing 2 updates available and offering to install them. So far so normal.

I click on Install updates - the window is grey for ~10 seconds, and reappears unchanged.

This has happened several times - a bug?
Last edited by T J Tulley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MintUpdate not installing updates

Post by kei84 »

Try refreshing the list of updates then click install updates. If it doesn`t work, open your terminal an type "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get upgrade".

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks emorrp1 and kei84 - I've looked at the other viewtopic link.

The updates refusing here are both Level 3 - libmagickwand1 and libmagickcore1 - upgrades from 1ubuntu3 to 1ubuntu3.1. At the bottom of th window they are described as "recommended" updates.

I've tried the two apt-get commands - both report package not found - the package being updates, update or upgrade.

If I select one of them, the description appears below - neither looks very important for my procedures so I shall leave them for now. I've not experienced this before, as I said. It appears that others have. That still suggests some sort of bug.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

hmmm, if the "package not found" error is correct, this looks to be a separate issue. I assume the "two apt-get commands" were:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I've usually only got the "package not found" error if I forget to do the update stage.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

...or...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
:wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again - that worked - previously I entered the command sudo apt-get install with the various arguments - now with the 2 separate procedures things happened - and then I clicked on Install updates in the miintUpdate window, which soon reported 'Your system is up to date'.

But why the initial refusal?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

T J Tulley wrote:But why the initial refusal?
the update command fetches the list of packages from the servers. Before this is done, it might not know of the new packages. I'll admit it's a bit strange given that mintUpdate informed you of the availability, but at least it's solved now. With any luck you won't have to do that again, mintUpdate should work normally.

Return to “Newbie Questions”