Can't copy backup file (.tar folder) to USB or external HDD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lilmothiit

Can't copy backup file (.tar folder) to USB or external HDD

Post by Lilmothiit »

I've done a fresh install of Linux Mint 19, and made a back up using the built in backup tool. Then I tried to make a copy of the backup file (a .tar folder) to my USB for safe keepings. It failed to copy. When I clicked on "show more details" in the error message, it said "Error splicing file: File too large"

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Can't copy backup file (.tar folder) to USB or external HDD

Post by Mattyboy »

Lilmothiit wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:08 am "Error splicing file: File too large"
Well I guess the first thing to ask is.. is the file too large?

How big is your .tar file?
Whats the available space on your USB?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Fat32 has a 4 GB file limit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Use better filesystems, like NTFS or ext4. :wink:
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

I recommend exFAT for most flash drives; on Linux you have to install its FUSE module. Look in synaptic for it
Lilmothiit

Post by Lilmothiit »

The .tar file is 6.2 gig, the USB is 64 gig with 57 gig of free space.

The USB is FAT32 - so that's my problem. How do i format the USB to be exFAT? Using Linux Mint 19's built in USB formatter only gives me the options of FAT32, NTFS, and EXT4. I need something that is compatible with both windows and Linux.
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

NTFS & ExFAT are both available for win & Linux. NTFS has permissions, exfat doesn't

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
I like gparted, but you can also https://www.maketecheasier.com/format-e ... buntu/amp/
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Lilmothiit wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm The .tar file is 6.2 gig, the USB is 64 gig with 57 gig of free space.

The USB is FAT32 - so that's my problem. How do i format the USB to be exFAT? Using Linux Mint 19's built in USB formatter only gives me the options of FAT32, NTFS, and EXT4. I need something that is compatible with both windows and Linux.
Install gparted from the software manager, use it to format the drive in NTFS.

Return to “Beginner Questions”