Is there a way to make Nemo show filetype details when viewing Properties?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cito
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to make Nemo show filetype details when viewing Properties?

Post by Cito » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 pm

For example

Linux Mint even with the plugins I could find and enable, am I missing how to turn this feature on?

Here's Linux Mint (right click -> properties) on a Cirque du Soleil movie I got.
cirquedusoleilimage.png

And while I hate windows, but still run windows 7 for gaming although thanks to steam I'm gaming more on linux mint but I love windows file manager properties as it gives you greater detail especially if you are trying to verify it's a "legit" file and not some troll or crap you downloaded.

Here's exact same file's properties in windows 7 file manager
windows-fileproperties.PNG

I Concede I may be missing some script, plugin or setting, if so my humble apologies. But I really miss being able to check properties on a file and get all the info before I decide to run it, install, read, unzip, scrap it, etc.

Or is there a 3rd party plugin that can help me out. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Is there a way to make Nemo show filetype details when viewing Properties?

Post by all41 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Not sure this is your huckleberry, but there is a utility in the repositories named 'mediainfo' which will add context expansion of media file info
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

Cito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cito » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you!

I was looking for something that could let me see what the file was without opening/playing/etc.

I'll give this a shot, I appreciate it.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am

apt install nemo-mediainfo-tab

Confirm enabled in Nemo plug-ins, right click on a media file and view properties....

Cito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cito » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am
apt install nemo-mediainfo-tab

Confirm enabled in Nemo plug-ins, right click on a media file and view properties....

Omg thank you!!

I thought I had got all the Nemo plugins.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 am

No worries..

I neglected to mention it's from a PPA - https://launchpad.net/~caldas-lopes/+archive/ubuntu/ppa :roll: :wink:

There is a nemo-audio-tab available in the main repo but it's limited to audio and won't work with nemo-media-tab enabled.

I've used nemo-media-columns from the main repo in the past with 18.x which adds loads of options for media-related properties to the columns list view but that did impact noticeably on Nemo's performance. I might try it again as it does give handy functions like sorting by image dimensions, EXIF date etc

Return to “Newbie Questions”