wifi connectivity of previously connected router after install of linuxmint19 cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DRIFT3R
Level 1
Level 1

wifi connectivity of previously connected router after install of linuxmint19 cinnamon

Post by DRIFT3R » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 pm

i installed linux and removed windows 10 and laptop is running much faster. when it had windows 10 i was able to connect to xfinity wifi router with password but since installing linuxmint19 i enter password the authentication box disappears then after a moment comes back and the "wifi disconnected box shows in the top right of screen. thinking it might be hardware or "driver" issues i connected Ethernet cable and ran all updates but still did not work. i turned phone into a hotpot to see if there was any issue connecting to another connection but it accepted password and connected no problems. i am trying to learn linux at the age of 37 and do not want to just keep trying random terminal codes that have not helped and hopefully not messed things up any further. any help greatly appreciated.

Lord Boltar
Level 3
Level 3

Re: wifi connectivity of previously connected router after install of linuxmint19 cinnamon

Post by Lord Boltar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Run this command to see if your wireless adapter is listed

lspci | grep -i wireless

Sample output should look something like this - below is from my machine

03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

Next take note of the 03:00.0 it will be a little different on your machine

Now type in

lspci -vv -s 03:00.0 changing the 03:00.0 to your number

this will tell you what driver your machine is using - hopefully it is correct if not you will have to find correct drivers

also if your router has encryption you may want to temporarily disable it and see if it connects

Return to “Newbie Questions”