Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 won't boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andyh80
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 won't boot

Post by andyh80 »

After changing Firefox settings can't boot my laptop.
Set it up to use RAM instead of disk for cache.
Is there a simple way to roll it back?
This is pretty much fresh installation of Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 on SSD, dual boot with Windows 10 (which is on HDD).
Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jpenguin

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 won't boot

Post by jpenguin »

Add loglevel=7 and delete quite & nosplash in grub
andyh80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyh80 »

I am sorry, I forgot to mention - I can get to login screen, enter password, but after that it just shuts down.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

andyh80 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 am I am sorry, I forgot to mention - I can get to login screen, enter password, but after that it just shuts down.
Shut down as in the computer turns off? :shock: Or do you land back at the login screen?

You can access your account from a terminal, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen and then log in there. From there try starting an X session manually (startx), if it fails at least you should see an error message. Potentially start moving offending configuration files out of the way in text mode. Firefox settings are stored in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile_dir>/ although I seriously doubt the firefox settings could be responsible for this.
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

Maybe log in via the terminal or SSH and

Code: Select all

rm ~/.cache
andyh80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyh80 »

Problem seems to be resolved.
Did both 'rm -rf ~/.cache' and 'startx' - desktop started. Then after re-boot it worked as expected.
Not sure what it was. The battery level was low - maybe that was the culprit? I noticed this only after I logged in. On the login screen the battery level is not visible.
Thank you guys!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

andyh80 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 pm On the login screen the battery level is not visible.
It should be, as long as you're running on battery power. You can toggle the battery indicator in the Login Window tool's Settings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”