[SOLVED] HP printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

[SOLVED] HP printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".

Post by carum carvi »

How to solve this printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running". To correct this, choose menu, administration, services and look for "cups" service.
That 's the error message I get when I connect my printer to my computer running LM19 Cinnamon during a regular boot.
But I cant find no "cups" servive nowhere. What does that mean?

My printer is suddenly NOT recognized anymore during the second time I connect it to my LM19 Cinnamon OS. It is recognized wrongly as a "generic printer". The first time around when I connected it to LM19 it recognized my printer perfectly as the correct model HP printer. Now the printer software wants to connect to a server, while I have no server installed...

Maybe I selected some server settings during the first time I connected my printer. But now I am totally unable to change the settings in anyway and I get this error message: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to solve this printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".

Post by tgwilt »

Found this link. It may help, but YMMV

https://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=13212.0
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to solve this printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".

Post by tgwilt »

Does your HP printer have an IP address? I have an Envy 4520 that I setup with a static IP on my home network, so if I ever have to add it manually, I can install a network printer with the assigned IP.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

newbie serena wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm How to solve this printing error: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running". To correct this, choose menu, administration, services and look for "cups" service.
That 's the error message I get when I connect my printer to my computer running LM19 Cinnamon during a regular boot.
But I cant find no "cups" servive nowhere. What does that mean?

My printer is suddenly NOT recognized anymore during the second time I connect it to my LM19 Cinnamon OS. It is recognized wrongly as a "generic printer". The first time around when I connected it to LM19 it recognized my printer perfectly as the correct model HP printer. Now the printer software wants to connect to a server, while I have no server installed...

Maybe I selected some server settings during the first time I connected my printer. But now I am totally unable to change the settings in anyway and I get this error message: "the cups print spooler does not appear to be running".
Have you tried using the HPLIP GUI tools? It makes connecting to HP printers very easy. I had to manually enter the IP address of my ENVY 4520, but everything else went smoothly.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks for the tips. I am gonna try that Hp tool you recommended and which an earlier poster also mentioned in its forum link.

This is what the solution in the forum link described:

"But really I don't understand why you're not just using hplip-gui to install your HP printer:
Code: [Select]

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Then look for the HPLIP Toolbox in your menu."

I have installed it, but I only see a FAX Hp utility in my menu. Clicking on it doesnt activate anything. Still the same problem.

Funny thing is that my printer is able to scan documents without a flaw. But doesnt recognize my printer, even after installing the above mentioned hplip-gui. It is installed correctly. I see it right there, but the program doesnt start up.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I have used Timeshift. Everything works fine now. Applied the regular LM19 software updates again and everything still works fine.

I think I understand what went wrong:

When installing my HP printer for the first time I have to change the standard "machine URI" to the "USB URI".

There is a setting in which I can choose to connect my HP printer through USB or through HPlip. When I choose that USB setting in the URI menu then everything works fine. I noticed during earlier installations of my printer that some Uri settings just dont work.

I think I have forgotten to connect to the USB URI last time. Problem solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”