[SOLVED] Mint 19 Cinnamon mounts not showing in Nemo sidebar

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 19 Cinnamon mounts not showing in Nemo sidebar

Post by smokinmoe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 pm

I've just done a fresh install of inux Mint Cinnamon 19 64-bit and manually mounted some samba shares on a Windows 7 system from a script, but those mounts aren't visible in Nemo's sidebar.
If I browse to the to a share via File/Connect to Server... the share does show in the sidebar:

Output from mount when mounting via File/Connect to server...:

Code: Select all

$ mount
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
The mountpoints are in the form: /media/username/sambaservername/mountname1, mountname2 etc...

The mount command I used is:

sudo mount -t cifs "//10.1.1.20/C$" /media/joe/phoenix/cdrive --verbose -o rw,credentials=$HOME/phoenixcred,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,noserverino,vers=2.1
Output from mount when mounting via the script:

$ mount
//10.1.1.20/C$ on /media/joe/phoenix/cdrive type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=2.1,cache=strict,username=joe,domain=Joes,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,addr=10.1.1.20,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)
In previous versions of Mint (18 through 18.3) using the exact same mount command, these mounts would appear in Nemo... because they were in /media/username/mountname.
Has something changed in v19?

Possible relevant information

$ id
uid=1000(joe)

$ ls -l /media/joe/phoenix/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe  8192 Apr 26 08:55 cdrive
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe  4096 Oct  1  2017 ddrive
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe 12288 Jun  2 15:04 edrive
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe  4096 May 27 20:27 fdrive
drwxr-xr-x 2 joe joe  4096 May 30 10:57 gdrive
Last edited by smokinmoe on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon mounts not showing in Nemo sidebar

Post by altair4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 am

Ain't that somethin'

Yes, I can confirm that symptom. It also happens on Ubuntu / Xubuntu 18.04 so I don't think it's a Mint thing. Looks more fundamental like ... maybe ... a udisks2 bug or something?

Anyhoo, another day another bug. I can offer a workaround if you are interested: Put your mounts in fstab.

Something in the form of:

//server/share /media/joe/phoenix/cdrive cifs credentials=$HOME/phoenixcred,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,noserverino,vers=2.1,noauto,user 0 0
The noauto option will make it so it does not mount at boot.
The user option permits a non-root user the ability to mount the share.

** As soon as you save fstab there will be a "cdrive" link on the side panel of Nemo.
** It will mount only when you select that link.

You can just leave it like that or modify your mount scripts to just reference the mount point without sudo - as in mount /media/joe/phoenix/cdrive.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon mounts not showing in Nemo sidebar

Post by smokinmoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm

** As soon as you save fstab there will be a "cdrive" link on the side panel of Nemo.
** It will mount only when you select that link.
I confirm that your solution works with the following caveats (perhaps specific to my setup):
  • After editing and saving fstab (with 5 additional cifs mount entries, cdrive through gdrive), only one mount showed in Nemo; this mount was seemingly previously already mounted, whereas the other entries in fstab were not... Unmounting said mount made it disappear from the Nemo sidebar (as expected?).
  • After modifying my script as per your instructions and running said script, the mount points were visible and accessible in Nemo.
  • After a reboot, the mount points DIDN'T automatically show up in Nemo. Once I ran the modified script they showed. I assume this is related to the noauto option? My expectation is that the mount points would show in Nemo's sidebar but that they would not mount until accessed... a function of built in autofs support?
Thank you so much... for all my searching the internet I found zero references to this issue and was therefore ready to revert to a previous version of Mint.
I will persist with Tara which I find much faster than previous versions (17.3 through 18.3) but I expect to find other issues such as those I already see in the system logs via journalctl -p 3:
  • kernel: CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-5 - seemingly a harmless logging issue supposedly fixed but not actually fixed.
  • lightdm: multiple pam_kwallet*.so errors
  • pulseaudio: multiple pid.c & bluez5-util.c errors
  • wpa_supplicant: multiple dbus errors
  • cinnamon-session: [/i]multiple GLib-GIO-CRITICAL errors[/i]
Marking as SOLVED

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 19 Cinnamon mounts not showing in Nemo sidebar

Post by altair4 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm

I am not very adept at political correctness so let me respond to some of your observations this way:
only one mount showed in Nemo;
the other entries in fstab were not
Unmounting said mount made it disappear from the Nemo sidebar (as expected?).
After a reboot, the mount points DIDN'T automatically show up in Nemo.
None of that should have happened. What should have happened is this:
My expectation is that the mount points would show in Nemo's sidebar but that they would not mount until accessed
If your fstab entries have mount points under /media or in your home directory, and you used the noauto, user options as I suggested and it did not do what you expected above I would seriously condiser moving on to Ubuntu / Xubuntu 18.04.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”