[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 19? Either Intel or AMD will work?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackerbes

[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 19? Either Intel or AMD will work?

Post by jackerbes »

In the testing sessions for 19 I see references to editions of Mint 19 for i386 processors and for amd64 processors. But when I download 19 there is only one Cinnamon edition. Is it safe to assume that the installation will recognize the processor and install for the one you have?

I recently got a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7049 laptop that, as far as I can tell, will not recognize a USB flash drive with a Mint 19 ISO burned to it as it boots. So I need to burn a DVD and install from that...

It is a nice big laptop with a 17" display and my first AMD processor, looking forward to seeing how it goes with Mint as compared to my 15" Lenovo...

Jack
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 from ISO, please read, EFI installs only

Post by gm10 »

In the future please read the forum rules and create your own thread for your issues. Your post is completely off-topic here. I expect a mod to split this out, therefore:
jackerbes wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 am In the testing sessions for 19 I see references to editions of Mint 19 for i386 processors and for amd64 processors. But when I download 19 there is only one Cinnamon edition. Is it safe to assume that the installation will recognize the processor and install for the one you have?
No, it won't, and the download page clearly differentiates between 32-bit and 64-bit:
downloadlinks.png
Both will install, but you'll want 64-bit, so make sure to download that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Installing Linux Mint 19 32-bits?

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am In the future please read the forum rules and create your own thread for your issues. (...) I expect a mod to split this out
Agreed, and done.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jackerbes

Post by jackerbes »

My apologies for the mistake...

So what has happened here now, my post has been given a subject and it was moved from Announcements to the Topic section?

I'm a little confused because my question was not about 32-bit installs, it was to ask if the download of Mint 19 will install to either Intel or AMD processors.

Jack
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jackerbes wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am I'm a little confused because my question was not about 32-bit installs, it was to ask if the download of Mint 19 will install to either Intel or AMD processors.

Jack
It'll install to both.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jackerbes

Post by jackerbes »

Thanks, I'll mark this solved now...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

jackerbes wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am I'm a little confused because my question was not about 32-bit installs, it was to ask if the download of Mint 19 will install to either Intel or AMD processors.
Actually you didn't, likely due to your own misinterpretation of what i386 and amd64 signify - those are about architectures, not manufacturers, the first being the common 32-bit architecture and the second the common 64-bit architecture for PC desktop processors.

But to confirm as well: Yes, it will install on your AMD processor. Download the 64-bit version. ;)
jackerbes

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 19? Either Intel or AMD will work?

Post by jackerbes »

And thanks again for the additional information!

I am slowly getting older and smarter...

Jack
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 19? Either Intel or AMD will work?

Post by Pjotr »

The architecture names *are* confusing, of course.... I'm used to them, but they make no sense nowadays. Oh well.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”