change language with alt+chif and format code with alt+shift+f

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valman
Level 1
Level 1

change language with alt+chif and format code with alt+shift+f

Post by valman »

Hi to all,

I recently upgraded to mint 19 (cinnamon version 3.8.6, kernel 4.15). Many of the problems I used to have with the previous versions were solved after the upgrade so I find mint 19 a drastically improved version. In fact, I absolutely love it!

I have one last problem to solve for my setup and I don't know if there is a solution. I am from Greece so I have two keyboard languages installed: greek and english. I have configured alt+shift to switch between them (keyboard →layouts→options→switching to another layout→alt+shift).

However, I use netbeans to write code and netbeans uses the shortcut alt+shift+F to format code. In my previous mint/cinnamon version (I think it was 17) I could do both: use alt+shift to change layout and use alt+shift+F to format code. In this version, if I configure alt+shift to switch layouts, alt+shift+F does not work anymore (to any application, it is not related to netbeans itself).

Is there a solution for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smokinmoe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: change language with alt+chif and format code with alt+shift+f

Post by smokinmoe »

Just a thought, consider changing the Layout key combination to something other than Alt+Shift... Alt+Ctrl is very similar
agolovanov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agolovanov »

I second this. I use Alt+Shift for switching layouts as well, and it seems to block any other combinations.

I've found relevant bug reports for Cinnamon: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7664 and xorg: https://bugzilla.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865
exxil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxil »

Thank you!

I also used Alt+shift to change between the two keyboard layouts I use. Everything worked perfectly in previous Mint versions, but in version 19 I was no longer able to use the shortcuts Alt+shift+1(2, 3 etc) in WordPress. All the other shortcuts in WordPress worked, so I was clueless on where to start. Changing the keyboard toggle combination to ctrl+alt solved the problem!
valman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valman »

smokinmoe wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 am Just a thought, consider changing the Layout key combination to something other than Alt+Shift... Alt+Ctrl is very similar
Hm, for me alt+ctrl wouldn't be a possible solution.. I tend to almost never use the mouse so I use many three key combinations like at+shift+? and ctrl+shift+? and ctrl+alt+? everyday. So for example if I select alt+ctrl for language I can't change switch to another workspace via ctrl+alt+left and ctrl+alt+right.

The combination with the least conflict that I have found till now is alt+caps lock which can be pressed with the same fingers with alt+shift. However it is still confusing to my brain since the combination alt+shift has been stored to my muscle memory after many years of use and the brain cpu keeps using that cache :).
valman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valman »

agolovanov wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:55 am I second this. I use Alt+Shift for switching layouts as well, and it seems to block any other combinations.

I've found relevant bug reports for Cinnamon: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7664 and xorg: https://bugzilla.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865
Hm very interesting links. Thank you.

There seems to be a patch for that.

Does anyone know if that patch would be safe to be used with mint 19?
valman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valman »

For anyone who might read this thread later on, I applied the patch found at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments=all

and it works perfectly in mint too.

You can either use Norbert's PPA or compile manually.

This is neither a mint+cinammon issue, nor a netbeans/eclipse one so the title is not very good. It is a xorg issue and a battle is going on for many years whether it should be fixed or not.

Return to “Beginner Questions”