unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to defaul

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gkam

unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to defaul

Post by gkam »

Hello. I am quite new to Linux and just to try to be familiar with linux. But every time when face problems then lost my motivation to use linux and it stops for me to try linux more for longer time. It happened many times and I really go away from Windows..
I have now recently installed cinnamon 19 version . I got following error after i was fixing some sound problems.

Xsession: unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to default session.

When I click Ok I get a black screen and can only see my cursor. What can I do to solve this?

Thanks!
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to de

Post by Lord Boltar »

I have solved the issue for me, however, your millage may vary.
  • boot to the linux mint version.
  • Wait for the login screen and login.
  • Get the error? Click ok.
  • Get the black screen? Type Cntrl-Alt F1
  • Get the prompt?
  • Login with your name and password.
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install nemo
  • sudo apt-get install cinnamon
  • reboot
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
seggers
Level 1
Level 1

Re: unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to de

Post by seggers »

Many thanks for this. For whatever reason my LM19 install suddenly got this error message on login and these steps helped me fix it.

My only comment would be that I had to keep hitting the Ctl-Alt F1 step as it was never quite clear as which black/blank screen it was.

Seggers
FatherJak

Post by FatherJak »

Thank you for fixing my problem :) I had deleted too many files. The only thing I waas not sure about in these instructions was how to reboot - which i did by holding the power button tho was not sure this would allow the updates and thought there would be a command for it. All good - very happy thank you
CheckingItOut

Post by CheckingItOut »

To get Nautilus used as preferred application(should have used the system
settings) and saving space, I removed Nemo. Which removed Cinnamon as a
dependency. This was the problem. Replaced et voila! Moral of the story,
leave Nemo alone. (OK, guess there's another way to get rid of Nemo).

'Type Cntrl+Alt+F1' - was the gem, I've been looking for.

Very appreciated.
madtom

Post by madtom »

:D Saved me many hours of grief with the ctrl-alt F1 prescription - my only deviation was to instruct "reboot" while still in command line rather than getting out and following the usual procedure. Worked fine. Many thanks! Otherwise my next step might have been a reinstall and a lot of repeated program downloading and personalizing.

Situation: Thinkpad T420 with LMDE Cindy recently installed (and loving it). I spent some time installing many new programs from the software manager, but paid no attention to what programs it said would be UNinstalled in the course of installations, so whether it was the loss of Nemo or something else, I don't know.

But I had to do a cold shutdown when I tried out a new program for keyboard management (wanted to re-purpose the caps lock key) and it seemed to be misbehaving. Then attempted reboots put me in a loop of failures. No blank screen, but unfamiliar ones with a repeat of the topic message that I web-searched on to get me here, and a repeat cycle through invitations to login and subsequent failure reports like 'root locked'. Then, I came here and . . WHEW - RELIEF!
Barttyyy

Post by Barttyyy »

Hello guys i have same problem, but i can’t open Prompt. I used ctrl+alt+F1,f2,f3... nothing works, can anyone help? :roll:
ddf

Post by ddf »

Thank you, Lord Boltar! You also solved the issue for me. :D
Just to know, I got in this trouble after a "apt purge libimobiledevice6".
collinsmarra

Post by collinsmarra »

Does it need internet connection?
Because it game errors that it was not able to get ti https/.....
collinsmarra

RE :unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d" X session ---

Post by collinsmarra »

unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d" X session--- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon2d" not found; falling back to default session.

guys this is the error that I got when I tried to log in to my pc just the other day.
I use mint19 and I don't have a lot of experience with linux.
So after doing lots of research, I didn't find any solution.
Someone help
Jack00

Post by Jack00 »

Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm I have solved the issue for me, however, your millage may vary.
  • Get the prompt?
  • sudo apt-get update
  • reboot
I am having the same issue but these commands is not working for me .... I am unable to operate the system after executing your commands....help me if u can plss
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

You may have to reformat and reload the OS
Jack00 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:38 pm
Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm I have solved the issue for me, however, your millage may vary.
  • Get the prompt?
  • sudo apt-get update
  • reboot
I am having the same issue but these commands is not working for me .... I am unable to operate the system after executing your commands....help me if u can plss
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

rdinion

Post by rdinion »

I installed Linux Mint last week and after a adding software and customizing I am now getting the same error which seems to be fairly common and possibly caused by deleting software packages that have made a dependency on the desktop and then delete it. In my case the Gnome Online Accounts manager which is simply something I absolutley do NOT want as any API to internet accounts like google simply rape everything they can if given access to a machine.

However The Cntrl-Alt-F1 or F2 did not work as well. The login creditials are correct. written down as well as they work to get me to the Unable to launch.. error where an incorrect password throws a an invalid password error.
I can't get to a login prompt before the Gui login screen comes up for some reason.

Any Ideas? Escpecially helpful would be how to know when removing software will trash the OS. I would think any add ons would be more moduler.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

rdinion wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 am I installed Linux Mint last week and after a adding software and customizing I am now getting the same error which seems to be fairly common and possibly caused by deleting software packages that have made a dependency on the desktop and then delete it. In my case the Gnome Online Accounts manager which is simply something I absolutley do NOT want as any API to internet accounts like google simply rape everything they can if given access to a machine.

However The Cntrl-Alt-F1 or F2 did not work as well. The login creditials are correct. written down as well as they work to get me to the Unable to launch.. error where an incorrect password throws a an invalid password error.
I can't get to a login prompt before the Gui login screen comes up for some reason.

Any Ideas? Escpecially helpful would be how to know when removing software will trash the OS. I would think any add ons would be more moduler.
Have you tried holding down the Shift key during startup and bring up the Grub menu and select recovery mode to try and access that way?

gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Thanks - you saved my new install - just after I got everything how it should be, and just before backing up with Clonezilla!
B_Schwager
Level 1
Level 1

Post by B_Schwager »

Lord Boltar's solution worked great for me.

- Bruce

Return to “Beginner Questions”