[SOLVED]Open folder icons on desktop problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Azvareth
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Open folder icons on desktop problem

Post by Azvareth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 am

Solved, the solution was
Open Preferred Applications from the menu, switch the File Browser entry from VLC to Files. While you're there, check if you maybe switched other associations by mistake as well and, if necessary, switch them back.

Note that this tool only shows you a few common associations. If you ever need to see/edit the full list, open ~/.config/mimeapps.list in a text editor. Should not be necessary here though.

Hi! I have some problem.

But first, I am not Natively English speaking so some references might be loosely translated and not match exactly.

I am mainly a Windows user, who from time to time also use Linux, and in my case I have found Linux mint to be the best option for me. Today when I started up my Linux mint I had a rather strange experience.

My Desktop icons which points to locations on the harddrive do not open up as it should do. First when I had logged in I started to open up my "Computer" icon and was rather impressed when VLC launched and had a bunch of playlist items not related to any media files.

After that I thought, well... VLC should not handle those things, therefore I uninstall it, and so I did (with the visual packet manager). Then I tried to launch a folder again, and the computer started to work (according to the mouse pointer) but nothing happened, no computer folder was open. I then tested the home icon and the network, trashcan and a couple of other folders created by me on the desktop... Nothing happened, as I thought it was strange, I also tested - and this time from my menu, to launch a folder in the "location submenu", that did not work either.

As a final test, I launched the filemanager Nemo directly and that did work, from there I can access folders and locations with no problems at all.

Now based on my logic, which might be flawed from time to time, I figured that some application (VLC?) has taken over the handling of how folder icons should be opened, and that needs to be restored. But I do not know where I do this, therefore I am asking here, do anyone know how how to do this and perhaps be kind enough to share that knowledge?

//Sincerely Azvareth
Last edited by Azvareth on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Open folder icons on desktop problem

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 am

Open Preferred Applications from the menu, switch the File Browser entry from VLC to Files. While you're there, check if you maybe switched other associations by mistake as well and, if necessary, switch them back.

Note that this tool only shows you a few common associations. If you ever need to see/edit the full list, open ~/.config/mimeapps.list in a text editor. Should not be necessary here though.

Azvareth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Azvareth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 am

ahhh... thank you :D , yes I guessed I posted in the right forum section :lol:

Filehandling where overtaken by VLC, changed that to Thunar as I did not find Nemo, but it works just as well.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 am

Azvareth wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 am
Filehandling where overtaken by VLC, changed that to Thunar as I did not find Nemo, but it works just as well.
You could set it to Nemo by opening the mimeapps.list file I mentioned above, finding the rows starting with inode/directory and changing them so they read: inode/directory=nemo.desktop;. In fact you could also just delete those lines to use the DE-specific defaults, that may be even better. Using multiple desktop environments (you seem to have Cinnamon and Xfce at least?) is a common cause of associations switching by the way.

Azvareth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Azvareth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks again...

I was very happy, until today... Now my Mint is unusable... :( but that is another posting.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED]Open folder icons on desktop problem

Post by lsemmens » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems Azvareth. The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful, they'll get you running again. In my situation, if Mint stopped working all together, I'd probably just re-install it. That said, a) I'd learn nothing from the experience and b) it leaves me open to a recurrence of said problem.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Azvareth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Open folder icons on desktop problem

Post by Azvareth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Yes I know, and I am grateful to that... The folks here are way better then Microsoft support I can tell, As I was in contact with them when their update rendered ASIO 4 ALL useless for me. Considering the people here do it just because they can.

The only thing Microsoft said was that it was not "their" fault, it was everyone elses. (I am generalising a bit, but that was what they ment). I do not care about whos fault it is/was, I just want stuff to work the same way it did before the upgrade/update (can't tell the different anymore)...

So with that in mind, people here, if they know howto, seems very eager to help out, and ofcourse if it should arise a topic which I can respond to, I will do so. Hopefully with understandable English from my side.

Return to “Newbie Questions”