[Solved] Installing a Network Printer on Mint 19 Laptop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cereal_killerxx

[Solved] Installing a Network Printer on Mint 19 Laptop?

Post by cereal_killerxx »

I'm a noob with Linux so maybe someone can help me. I installed the printer using CUPS on the web interface. I used ipp://W.X.Y.Z/ipp/print for the Device URI (as shown on the printer's ip address web interface). Linux didn't have the driver for that particular printer so I downloaded one from the website. It was a tar.gz file. I unzipped it and manually selected the PPD file from CUPS in the uld/noarch/share/ppd folder that I unzipped. The Printer State remains at "Ide - Rendering Complete." When I try to print a test page, I get an error. Under CUPS, it shows up as "Filter Failed." The printer I'm trying to install is a Xerox Phaser 3260. It prints just fine from a Windows Desktop or Laptop computer. Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing a Network Printer on Mint 19 Laptop?

Post by ralplpcr »

How does this printer connect to the network? Is it shared via a direct connection to another computer, or does it use the built-in print server? If it's via print server, does your printer have an ethernet connection, or just the wi-fi connection?

Also, it would help to know the environment of your Mint 19 - - is it Cinnamon, XFCE, or MATE? You can post the output of inxi -Fxz here, if you're not certain. (please add [code] and [/code] tags around the output for readability!)

The direction we go in resolving your question can vary greatly based on your answers, so please let us know!
cereal_killerxx

Printer server via ethernet. The printer has a static ip address.

Code: Select all

cinnamon
cereal_killerxx

Nevermind. I got it working. Apparently, you have to actually execute the install.sh file from the terminal:
 Move to the correct folder: cd ~/Deskop/uld (or whatever the folder name is)
 Make the .sh file executable: chmod +x install.sh
 Execute the .sh file: sudo bash install.sh
 Hit Enter to execute
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Great! Glad you were able to get it working. :)

To help others, you may wish to mark this thread as solved - - simply edit the title of your original post, and put [Solved] after the question. That way, others browsing the forum will know that no additional help is required, and it could also help others facing similar issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”