[SOLVED} Are different kernels offered for different hardware?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED} Are different kernels offered for different hardware?

Post by pjc123 »

I don't know if I just never noticed this before or something is wrong. I have two different laptops with the exact same Mint 18.3 install, different brands and models of laptops. Whether I am using the GUI Update Manager or apt-get from the command line, when I do an update, different kernel versions are offered by the update manager for each computer. The repositories are the same and the update commands are working properly. Does somehow update knows what kernel should be used, or is something wrong with my configuration?

HP Laptop = 4.13.0-45

Lenovo Laptop = 4.15.0-24
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Are different kernels offered for different hardware?

Post by WharfRat »

Both of them should be at 4.15.0-24.

Did you check the update manager settings on the HP Laptop :?:
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Yes, the first thing I did was to check the settings. I went through every single setting and they are exactly the same; even the software sources are the same. I could always manually install it, as I have an image backup in the event that things go wrong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

1. The 4.15.0-24 kernel is buggy, revoked, and only offered due to a bug in Update Manager. Don't install it.

2. run apt list -a linux-generic on both devices and compare the output.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

[SOLVED} Thanks @gm10. Well the fact that it was revoked would explain it. I updated the Lenovo computer way before I attempted it on the HP computer, so that makes sense.

The result of apt list -a linux-generic is the same for both devices:

linux-generic/xenial-updates,xenial-security 4.4.0.130.136 amd64
linux-generic/xenial 4.4.0.21.22 amd64

OK, I removed 4.15.0-24.
Last edited by pjc123 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Oh, so the kernel update is only offered via Update Manager, not the normal package. I wasn't sure how it came to be on Mint 18. You should check Update Manager > View > Linux kernels on the HP device then, see if the 4.15 series is listed, should you want it.

The revocation does not explain things, because only -24 was revoked, not the entire series, so -23 is the current release version of 4.15. You don't need to remove -24 on the other device if it doesn't create problems for you.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Actually removing it caused a problem. How do I remove it from the GRUB menu?
Last edited by pjc123 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

pjc123 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm Actually removing it caused a problem. How do I remove it from the GRUB menu?
To remove a kernel you first need to boot into another kernel via GRUB menu, then you can remove the kernel via Update Manager > View > Linux kernels.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pjc123 »

Ignore the remove the kernel question. I have two Linux OS's installed. I forgot that I have to go into the other OS and update grub there for the entries in the Linux Mint grub to go away. In other words the GRUB in the other OS controls everything. All is good now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”