[SOLVED] Mint 19 on shutdown at-spi-bus-launcher not responding

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Mint 19 on shutdown at-spi-bus-launcher not responding

Post by Mage of Maple »

Hello,

After switching to Mint 19, when I try to shut down I always get a "program is still running" dialog box telling me that at-spi-bus-launcher is not responding. I click "shut down anyway" and all is well, but it is annoying. This happens on a clean install of Mint 19 Mate and also on a VM running Mint 19 Cinnamon that was upgraded from 18.3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nic Deane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 on shutdown at-spi-bus-launcher not responding

Post by Nic Deane »

Was going to ask the same question! Anyone with any answers?
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

Sounds like it may be a bug

navigate to this location

/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd

you will have to use sudo or open as root and right click it and select properties and uncheck the box that allows it to be executable - reboot and see if that worked
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 am Sounds like it may be a bug

navigate to this location

/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd

you will have to use sudo or open as root and right click it and select properties and uncheck the box that allows it to be executable - reboot and see if that worked
Removing execute privileges from at-spi2-registryd did not solve the problem. Did you mean to remove the execute privs from at-spi-bus-launcher? That would indeed remove the error - it wouldn't have a problem with not being able to stop if it was not allowed to start in the first place... but surely this program is running for some purpose.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

Removing execute privileges from at-spi2-registryd did not solve the problem. Did you mean to remove the execute privs from at-spi-bus-launcher? That would indeed remove the error - it wouldn't have a problem with not being able to stop if it was not allowed to start in the first place... but surely this program is running for some purpose.

that is whole point to see if error goes away - it is part of GTK3 which Cinnamon uses - it is possible that Cinnamon is corrupted you might have to reinstall it
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 pmit is possible that Cinnamon is corrupted you might have to reinstall it
How does one go about doing that?
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Never mind - this problem is solved. It appears that a just-released update has fixed it on both machines.

Thanks!
Lord Boltar

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 19 on shutdown at-spi-bus-launcher not responding

Post by Lord Boltar »

Glad the update fixed your issue
ergoroca

Post by ergoroca »

OK, so I know you said this is solved, but I still have this problem in my laptop. Just installed mint a couple of weeks ago, so I assume it's up to date.
Any fix for this?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ergoroca wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 am OK, so I know you said this is solved, but I still have this problem in my laptop. Just installed mint a couple of weeks ago, so I assume it's up to date.
Any fix for this?
viewtopic.php?p=1540809#p1540809

Return to “Beginner Questions”