Nvidia Drivers causign me to crash into fallback mode constantly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teknotel

Nvidia Drivers causign me to crash into fallback mode constantly

Post by teknotel »

Complete Linux newbie here. I installed it once on my old system and everything went fine. I am only installing it to play a game called Rimworld as if you play it heavily modded it crashes on any windows system but not on Linux. Anyway....

So I completed installation and everything works fine, I can dual boot and have tested windows and no issues so everything is cool.

However when I choose the Nvidia graphics driver it just will not work. I tried purging and getting new drivers or something and I had new nvidia driver 390 and 396.

But these do the same thing. I switched back to the open source ones and when I rr'd it gave some weird crash looking screen for a split second and then loaded in and seemed fine. It has picked up my dual monitors and there are no crashes.

So can I keep this driver? Am I missing out anything by not using the nvidia drivers?

Does anyone know how I can fix the issue and install the nvidia drivers?

Thank you for help.

Complete noob.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nvidia Drivers causign me to crash into fallback mode constantly

Post by Lord Boltar »

nVidia Drivers

open terminal and copy paste the below

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

then push enter and select yes to add

sudo apt-get update

then push enter wait for it to update then close the terminal

Then go to your Driver Manager and update to the latest drivers
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
teknotel

Re: Nvidia Drivers causign me to crash into fallback mode constantly

Post by teknotel »

Yay! Seems to have worked. Many thanks kind sir.

Return to “Beginner Questions”