I have a network connection but no internent <solved>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

I have a network connection but no internent <solved>

Post by Glockdoc »

Howdy!

I am running Sylvia on my acer all in one. Everything was fine until a few days ago. I started losing internet. A reboot usually fixed it. I was also having isp problems about the same time so I did not worry.

Now I have no internet on my wired or wireless connection.

I thought it was the last kernel update. After the update I get a string of error messages on boot. It scrolls too fast for me to get a snapshot.

I booted to a couple of previous kernals and still no internet. The error messages during boot stopped though.

I can ping google, facebook, and open dns servers from the command line so I know there is a network connection.

I tried a restore w timewise to my last backup.

None of this solved the issue.

I looked at my update history but cannot upload it so here is what updated about the time the problem started:

Policykit-1
Libpolkit-agent-1-0
Libkit-backend-1-0
Gir1.2-polkit-1-0
Libpolkit-gobject-1-0
Firefox
Adobe
Dns-root-data
Dns-masq-base

The last 2 entries scare me! LoL

Tell me what command lines will get the info you need from me and I will try to get it uploaded.

Thank you in advance. JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I have a network connection but no internet

Post by Glockdoc »

Okay, now I am TOTALY fubar......I thought, what the hell, let’s start the vpn....

I have internet, not problem. I use Air VPN.

I AM TOTALLY BAFFLED NOW!!

Thank you in advance, JC
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

So... what is your problem? Is it only Firefox that wont load pages? Can you ping IP addresses like 8.8.8.8? How bout domain names like yahoo.com?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

these connection issues usually solve themselves when you unplug your router for about 20 seconds. when was the last time you unplugged your router?
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

@penguin

I can't load anything in any browser. I have 4 browsers, nothing connects. As mentioned in my OP, I can ping several sites.

@try

I have the router plugged into a power strip and turn it off for a while at least once a week. That has solved problems before for me.

It would seem the problem is VPN related since I have no issues with the vpn on and cannot connect with it off. I found that by accident.

Thanks, JC
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

nslookup linuxmint.com do you get anything? maybe i don't read these comments clearly enough but what is the issue now? there's no mention of vpn only that you can't connect with wired or wifi.

can you connect now? do you need a vpn? can you at least connect to your router web interface? what is your inxi -Fxzd output
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

Yep, problem was clearly defined in the 1st post, I have a network connection but cannot connect to the internet.

2nd post points out there is no problem when the VPN is connected, but only when connected.

To answer your questions:

Yes.
Only with the VPN activated.
Yes, everyone does.
Yes

Code: Select all

glockdoc@Glockdoc ~ $ inxi -Fxzd 
System:    Host: Glockdoc Kernel: 4.15.0-29-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Aspire C22-860
           Bios: American Megatrends v: R01-A0 date: 05/17/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-7100U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9600
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
           4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-29-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042
           driver: ath10k_pci bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (6.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A
           rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID-1: / size: 450G used: 60G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.21GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.5C mobo: 29.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 219 Uptime: 6:29 Memory: 1632.8/3862.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
glockdoc@Glockdoc ~ $ 
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Some thoughts. If your VPN is working then you have internet access. There is no way the VPN can work if you have no internet access.

The VPN is just another Internet connection, albeit a virtual one, which runs over the regular one. The regular one is obviously working.

If the VPN is disabled and the computer is configured to use VPN and only VPN then, obviously, you are not going anywhere.

So you would need to configure your connections so that it uses the regular internet connection instead of the VPN.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Glockdoc wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:43 am Okay, now I am TOTALY fubar......I thought, what the hell, let’s start the vpn....

I have internet, not problem. I use Air VPN.
Sounds like you configured a killswitch so your system won't connect without VPN. That's a common way to configure this so you don't accidentally connect without VPN.

If you installed any software to set up the VPN it's probably an option there. Otherwise check your firewall rules.
jpenguin

Post by jpenguin »

Glockdoc wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 am Yep, problem was clearly defined in the 1st post, I have a network connection but cannot connect to the internet.
You are not being clear, if you can ping and nslookup- you ARE connected to the internet.

Do lynx or w3c work?

If you move your browser settings, and start over, does that fix your problem

Something like

Code: Select all

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla-old
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

There's a couple of things you can check after disconnecting from AirVPN, first is /etc/resolv.conf. AirVPN swaps out your normal /etc/resolv.conf with their own and then swap the original back when you disconnect the vpn. If you kill or shut down hard, the file won't get swapped so your original file gets lost.

The second is your iptables, when using network lock, INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT are changed to DROP (normally OUTPUT is ALLOW). This can also get screwed up when killing or hard rebooting happens. Check sudo iptables -S and check the first three lines. If all say DROP change OUTPUT to ALLOW sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ALLOW should do it.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Glockdoc »

@greerd

Yep, I believe you have found my issue. It is all tied to AirVPN not shutting down properly. A price I will have to pay as I have tried several VPNs here in Thailand and have been happiest with Air.

Thanks!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”