Observations about Mint 19. For information only.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Observations about Mint 19. For information only.

Post by gingertom5005 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 pm

I have a reasonable old tower in my shed which I sometimes lend to people while I fix their PCs. I also use it to experiment with various operating systems, mainly with Mint. I have installed Mint 19 Mate on it twice. In each case the installation went well while it was connected to the internet and I have done all kernel updates and not experienced any problems (the reason I did the second installation was that I experimented with downloading a new theme and that rather messed up the installation, but hey ho, that's the benefit of having a machine I can experiment on).

Some observations:-

1) The system isn't that much different to Mint 18.3 at first appearance.

2) The boot into Firefox seemed slightly slower but the internet ran OK when it had booted.

3) I like to set up the Mint start up sound on installations I do. When I typed the command into start up applications to set this up it didn't work at first. I've typed the command into dozens of Mint applications . From information gleaned from this forum I discovered that I needed to open a terminal and type in the command, "sudo apt install sox" after which it worked fine.

4) I liked the more distinctive colouring of LibreOffice.

5) I would like to have more control over colours around windows, but that's hardly crucial.

6) The PC I am using it on has a separate graphics card but it all seems to work best with default graphics driver.

7) I installed some games which all work fine although the colour scheme in checkers is a bit naff, but that's hardly crucial.

8) I installed from a DVD made with the downloaded ISO and it was connected to the internet all the time. I have installed all level updates.

Currently I would feel easy about letting someone borrow it as it seems to work satisfactorily with all programs.

BTW; it would be great if at some point the developers could introduce a window which pops up when updates are available. Personally the shield which advises about updates stands out to me personally like a sore thumb but a lot of Mint users who I've installed Mint for often don't notice it.

Thanks however to the developers because, as with most operating systems, they do have to mature.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Observations about Mint 19. For information only.

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm

gingertom5005 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 pm
BTW; it would be great if at some point the developers could introduce a window which pops up when updates are available. Personally the shield which advises about updates stands out to me personally like a sore thumb but a lot of Mint users who I've installed Mint for often don't notice it.
You can roll your own:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
(item 3.9, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gingertom5005
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gingertom5005 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks.

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm
gingertom5005 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 pm
You can roll your own:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
(item 3.9, right column)
I had actually patched Update Manager directly for this for my own use. Pops up a message box every time it checks for updates and finds at least one. If you want, edit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py, for version 5.4.0 insert at line 758 (preserve indentation):

Code: Select all

dialog = Gtk.MessageDialog(self.application.window, Gtk.DialogFlags.MODAL | Gtk.DialogFlags.DESTROY_WITH_PARENT, Gtk.MessageType.INFO, Gtk.ButtonsType.OK, "Updates are available!")
                    dialog.set_title(_("Update Manager"))
                    dialog.set_keep_above(True)
                    dialog.show_all()
                    dialog.run()
                    dialog.destroy()
Or, if you feel trusting (you shouldn't trust random people on the Internet), patched file attached. Extract it into your Home Folder (~) then install with

sudo cp ~/mintUpdate.py /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate
killall mintUpdate
mintupdate-launcher
Official updates to the Update Manager or you reinstalling the mintupdate package will revert this change.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:43 pm
Official updates to the Update Manager or you reinstalling the mintupdate package will revert this change.
Impressive solution that you've applied, but my low-tech solution has the advantage that it'll never be undone by an update.... :wink:

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 pm
gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:43 pm
Impressive solution that you've applied, but my low-tech solution has the advantage that it'll never be undone by an update.... :wink:
True, on the other hand yours has other disadvantages, But it wasn't meant to be a competition, just saw the post and thought I'd share (and there's nothing technically impressive about my solution, either).

Here's a free fix for yours though, only pops up the message and mintupdate if there really are updates, the downside is you're running an additional apt update (and unlike my solution levels are ignored, although you could theoretically check for that as well, won't be a one-liner then though):

if /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py 2>/dev/null | grep -q '###'; then  zenity --info --text="Updates found!" && mintupdate; fi
Always more than one way to do it. :)

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:50 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:35 pm
Here's a free fix for yours though, only pops up the message and mintupdate if there really are updates, the downside is you're running an additional apt update (and unlike my solution levels are ignored, although you could theoretically check for that as well, won't be a one-liner then though):

if /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py 2>/dev/null | grep -q '###'; then  zenity --info --text="Updates found!" && mintupdate; fi
Always more than one way to do it. :)
Cool! I'll have a look at it. Thanks! :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”