Need/Want to disable HDMI Audio

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
not12listen
Level 1
Level 1

Need/Want to disable HDMI Audio

Post by not12listen »

Hello,

I'm running 18.3 with Cinnamon. My audio card is recognized correctly, but all audio is by default being output to my HDMI Audio. This is not ideal as it does not use my existing 5.1 speakers.

Could anyone guide me how to go about disabling/removing the HDMI Audio output devices?

Thanks!

jpenguin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Need/Want to disable HDMI Audio

Post by jpenguin »

Can't you just change output in sound preferences?

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Go to your hardware setting click on sound and modify it there
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

not12listen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by not12listen »

In the 'Sound' applet I can only adjust the volume of each output device. I cannot enable/disable any sound outputs.

I have already 'muted' the HDMI audio output devices and turned the volume down to 0 on my monitor as well.. When I opened a game, the audio went to the HDMI Audio output regardless.

I need to disable/block the HDMI audio output devices.

MrEen
Level 17
Level 17

Post by MrEen »

Hi not12listen.

I think you can solve this by installing and running PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.)

Go to the Configuration tab (all the way on the right) and you'll probably have 2 Built-in Audio profiles. Change the one that has HDMI to Off.

Hope that helps.

not12listen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by not12listen »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm
Hi not12listen.

I think you can solve this by installing and running PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.)

Go to the Configuration tab (all the way on the right) and you'll probably have 2 Built-in Audio profiles. Change the one that has HDMI to Off.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for this! This worked! I was disabled the HDMI audio and that set my 5.1 as the default!

Thank you again!

#solved

bejur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bejur »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm
Hi not12listen.

Hope that helps.
Great! I was looking for something like this either. I tried to disable HDMI sound I/O and this is what I have been looking for. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”