How do I properly make a Launcher Deskjet type shortcut?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heartnotes

How do I properly make a Launcher Deskjet type shortcut?

Post by heartnotes »

How do I point this at a particular program and then pick its icon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How do I properly make a Launcher Deskjet type shortcut?

Post by smurphos »

Is that the launcher desklet dialogue?

The native (right click on desktop and click create launcher here) dialogue is easier to use as it includes browse options.

Anyway in program it needs the command to launch the program (same as if you were launching it from the terminal). Depending on it's location in the filesystem that may need to include the full path.

In icon you need the full path to the desired icon - look in /usr/share/icons

If you are wanting desktop launchers for programs already in the menu the easiest way is to right-click the menu entry and select add to desktop.

BTW - it's best to specify which DE you are using in these types of questions. They do differ in the details.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Smurphos' info is spot on, I"ve used launchers to make things easier for my wife. Here is a process for Cinnamon.

With the launcher, the only section that is critical to the operation is the "Command" box. if you are looking at a program, all you must do is type in the program name e.g. "firefox" or, if you wish to open at a particular website "firefox hhtps;www.mywebsite.com/mypage" or to point to a particular network directory "nemo smb://ServerName.local/folder/subfolder/AnotherOne" The other segments can be used to describe what the launcher is about. Click on the icon image on the upper left will allow you to choose a custom icon for the launcher.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
heartnotes

Post by heartnotes »

smurphos wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:05 am Is that the launcher desklet dialogue?

The native (right click on the desktop and click create launcher here) dialogue is easier to use as it includes browse options.

Anyway, in the program, it needs the command to launch the program (same as if you were launching it from the terminal). Depending on its location in the filesystem that may need to include the full path.

In icon you need the full path to the desired icon - look in /usr/share/icons

If you are wanting desktop launchers for programs already in the menu the easiest way is to right-click the menu entry and select add to desktop.

BTW - it's best to specify which DE you are using in these types of questions. They do differ in the details.
My details are in my signature :D but it's Cinnamon Mint 19 Tara.

When I right click on the desktop, it says Add Deskjets / Change Desktop Backgrounds / Desktop Settings. I don't see create Launcher actually? I have the option to click "+" to add one from the Deskjets menu, but it goes to System Settings by default.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

When I right click on the desktop, it says Add Deskjets / Change Desktop Backgrounds / Desktop Settings. I don't see create Launcher actually?
Open Nemo > Edit > Plugins > Then see if it is enabled:
RightClickDesktop.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just a matter of semantics here, "Deskjet" is a model of Printer, "DeskLets" are the little "pop ups" you add to your desktop. Four options below "Add Desklets" I have the option to "Create a new launcher here". If you do not have that option, then, perhaps someone with a little more experience than I may be able to assist you with correcting that.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”