[SOLVED] Disk I/O high - rsync to blame?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Disk I/O high - rsync to blame?

Post by darkstrike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:18 am

Hi all - I just turned on my spare Mint 19 desktop for the first time in a week since I upgraded it to Mint 19 MATE from Mint 18.3 MATE using the Upgrade Manager and have noticed that the hard drive activity is pretty much constant since I turned it on awhile ago.

Using iotop, I can see that rsync is the process that is causing me grief and taking up all my disk I/O, slowing down my computer. Is there a way to find out WHY it's doing this?
Screenshot at 2018-07-22 11-16-25.png
I restarted my PC and within a minute or two, it was back to doing the same thing again? The only thing I can think of is that I recently installed Timeshift....does Timeshift use rsync to make it's backups? I don't see Timeshift listed in the process list, but could it be using rsync to make a backup (I have it set to make daily backups up to 5 daily backup copies?).

I do have a lot of things to back up, but it's been going for quite awhile now so I am not sure if it is a glitch or if it is still actually doing something? I don't want to burn out my disk with this running constantly....it's also slowing my PC down noticeably...

Any help on whether or not this could be Timeshift or what is causing it and how to stop it?

Thanks so much!!!
Last edited by darkstrike on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Disk I/O high - rsync to blame?

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

Timeshift is a rsync (or btrfs) frontend, yes. Open it from the menu and change the schedule in settings. It might be configured to do boot-time snapshots on your system.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:31 am

You pretty much answered your own question. It's probably timeshift doing its thing, yes it uses rsync.

Once the 'main' snapshot has been created it should settle down as it then should only append changes. I'd just let it run for a bit first to complete then worry if it continues over a few days say. If you've set it for 5 daily it IS going to run quite a lot and if you're using it to back up /home too....

Once a day, once a week is more than enough for 'normal use'.

darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darkstrike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:34 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am
Timeshift is a rsync (or btrfs) frontend, yes. Open it from the menu and change the schedule in settings. It might be configured to do boot-time snapshots on your system.
OK, perfect - that's what I THOUGHT, but as I wasn't around the first time Timeshift did it's thing, I wasn't sure how long it would take and it has been going for awhile, so I was starting to get worried...
Mattyboy wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:31 am
You pretty much answered your own question. It's probably timeshift doing its thing, yes it uses rsync.

Once the 'main' snapshot has been created it should settle down as it then should only append changes. I'd just let it run for a bit first to complete then worry if it continues over a few days say. If you've set it for 5 daily it IS going to run quite a lot and if you're using it to back up /home too....

Once a day, once a week is more than enough for 'normal use'.
I have it set to do daily backups not 5 times a day, but once a day up to 5 times so that it deletes the oldest copy after it has 5 copies.

Also, definitely Timeshift as running it from the Menu gives me an 'Another instance of Timeshift is already running' message. That was an easy one to solve - thanks peeps! :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”