mint 19.0 constant crash at start up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
javosoyyo
Level 1
Level 1

mint 19.0 constant crash at start up

Post by javosoyyo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi there.
I just made a clean install from a new iso image on a 32/bits emachine laptop and everytime I run it a message shows saying that it had a serious internal mistake and that it is running on recovery mode, giving the chance to reinitiallize linux.
I have taken the option of reinitiallizing and it always shows the same message.
The desktop appears empty, and the folders are only reachable thru the menu, the scroll is inverted and there is no way to change the the keyboard layout (the symbols are all scrambled, but the letters correspond).
Any ideas?
Luz en tu vida y ojos para verla
(Light in your life and eyes to see it)

JVR
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mint 19.0 constant crash at start up

Post by JVR » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Hello, I am by no means an experienced contributor, but I have had problems in the past that remind me of yours. I understand you were able to install the operating system but it won't start normally. If you have an equipment with 32-bit architecture, here are some things to consider:

1. make sure you used a 32-bit iso file.
2. Are you trying to install Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce? From my experience, for an "older" (32-bit) equipment MATE has less issues than Cinnamon.
3. How old is your equipment? Does it still use BIOS or is it UEFI-capable? If it still uses BIOS, maybe try installing an older Linux mint version, say, 17 or older (I am typing this from a 64-bit desktop equipment that uses BIOS and has linux mint 17 installed --it runs great).
4. How are you creating the installation media? If you created a usb installation file for a 32-bit equipment, did you use Windows or Linux/Ubuntu to create the usb? On windows you can try Rufus, unetbootin, or FileHippo, to create the media (for my old laptop with windows vista, I used FileHippo with no problems). Rufus will show you the BIOS or UEFI-only options. On linux/ubuntu you may use software manager to install unetbootin, usb-creator-gtk, mintstick, usb-creator-kde, or something else.
5. Follow the instructions in the download page to verify the integrity and authenticity of your .iso file before you create the installation media (usb or cd).

I know these suggestions are vague, but I hope the will help you install and run the OS normally. Good luck!

**EDIT: also, check other posts in this forum to see if someone already had your same or similar problem and what they did to solve it.**

javosoyyo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by javosoyyo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 pm

JVR, thanks a lot
1 I am sure it's a 32 bit iso
2 Cinnamon
3 It still uses Bios, I had a 17.3 cinnamon installed for a long time but started giving problems,It was on a partition alongside windows 8, and suddenly started reporting no space availability in the system area, and there was no way to free space neither as root or with apt, therefore it wasn't updating nor leaving me install new software eventhough I had more than 80G of free disk space. I decided to get rid of windows as well, that's why I made a clean install (If it's usefull I can post all the system information)
4 I used Unebootin and seeme to work just fine...
5 I got the iso file from the official linuxmint page, thru a University of Vriginia mirror,I assumed it was ok... :shock:

Here are the registry report for this las log in. I paste it, maybe It'll be usefull >
19:53:33 sudo: javo : a password is required ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/tmp/mintreport/crash ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/hddtemp -nq -u C /dev/sda
19:17:06 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
19:11:59 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
19:11:59 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
19:11:59 lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
19:11:59 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
19:11:59 lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
19:11:53 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
19:11:53 lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
19:11:53 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
19:11:53 lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
19:11:50 wpa_supplicant: dbus: Failed to construct signal
19:11:50 wpa_supplicant: dbus: Failed to construct signal
19:11:50 wpa_supplicant: dbus: wpa_dbus_get_object_properties: failed to get object properties: (none) none
19:11:45 kernel: acer_wmi: Unable to detect available WMID devices
19:11:31 kernel: ata5: softreset failed (device not ready)
19:11:31 kernel: ata3: softreset failed (device not ready)
19:11:31 kernel: Spectre V2 : Spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline
19:11:31 kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

javosoyyo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by javosoyyo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 pm

After digging, testing and asking a lot, I´ve come to the conclusion that there´s a serious incompatibility with my old lap hardware and the latest kernel version.
I made a clean install of mint 18.3 cinnamon version and avoided kernel updates,the lap is running just fine. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”