Display 1.1 and !.2 not working on HP 840 (docked)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RobZ_inT
Level 1
Level 1

Display 1.1 and !.2 not working on HP 840 (docked)

Post by RobZ_inT » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 am

Hello All,

I've only just started using Linux, and I'm having trouble with initial setup and configuration. I'm trying to run two 20" monitors as extended desktops and leave the laptop as my primary display. I use a docking station and one monitor is connected by VGA, the other by digital via the Display 1.1 port. Normally this arrangement worked fine in Windows, but for some reason Linux don't like it. Details: I installed Ubuntu yesterday and even though it detected the D 1.1. monitor, no output whatsoever. Ubuntu wasn't right for me, so today I loaded up Mint Cinnamon and I like it better. Unfortunately I'm having the same issues. The 1.1 monitor is detected but no output.
When I try to change display settings to use the extended desktop, after hitting "Apply" everything blanks/refreshes and goes back to a authentication screen on the laptop. I go through 3-6 cycles of entering my password, the screen blanks (occasionally with some characters in the top left), then back to authenticate. Eventually after repeating this Mint opens up again- usually having lost the browser pages I had open and unable to recover them. In a few instances, it opted to just mirror the desktop to the Monitor with VGA, despite me never having selected that option. One time the monitors came on, but all were mirrored- instead of extended. When I changed the setting it was back to the loop and eventually opening with only laptop and VGA monitor.
Update - in the course of typing this I grew frustrated and tried plugging into the digital 1.1 display port available on the side of the laptop (not dock ports)- the displays all blanked or refreshed and now all 3 are working!?!?! If I try using the D 1.1 or 1.2 dock ports again, it goes back to the endless authentication loop. I can't understand why? The dock ports worked fine in Windows.

Return to “Newbie Questions”