[SOLVED] Safely Remove Drive icon missing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tb75252
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Safely Remove Drive icon missing

Post by tb75252 »

I am using Mint 19 with the Cinnamon desktop environment.
I somehow managed to delete the
Safely Remove Drive
icon from the right-side of the bottom panel... How do I get it back?
Ordinarily, when I insert a USB thumb drive such icon pops up on the right side of the bottom panel. This evening I right-clicked it and accidentally selected Remove...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Safely Remove Drive icon missing

Post by AndyMH »

Mint menu > preferences > applets

Should be in the "manage" window - click on it and click the + button at the bottom of the window to turn it back on, if not then "download"
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tb75252
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tb75252 »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:43 am Mint menu > preferences > applets

Should be in the "manage" window - click on it and click the + button at the bottom of the window to turn it back on, if not then "download"
Thanks. The only applet that I could find is called Removable Drives. If one clicks on it when it displays in the bottom panel, it shows whatever USB drive is plugged in using File Manager, but it does not seem to disconnect the USB drive! I thought there was an applet specifically for safely removing a USB drive... Am I confused?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Can you not right-click the drive icon on the desktop and choose to safely remove
or eject?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tb75252
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tb75252 »

all41 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 am Can you not right-click the drive icon on the desktop and choose to safely remove
or eject?
Yes, I can do that! Thanks for the tip.
Still, I'm curious about how to bring back the Safely Remove Drive icon to the bottom-right panel...
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Right-click an empty spot on the panel and choose 'Troubleshoot', then choose 'Restore all settings to default'
That will restore a working Removable drives icon to the panel--it will also undo any customizations and you will
need to reinstall those.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The only place that I have ever seen a Safely Remove Drive icon on the bottom right of the panel is in Windows - not in Linux Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
tb75252
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tb75252 »

kyphi wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm The only place that I have ever seen a Safely Remove Drive icon on the bottom right of the panel is in Windows - not in Linux Mint.
Okay, then I'm probably confused... What icon in Linux Mint pops up in the lower-right part of the bottom panel when a removable USB drive is connected to the PC?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

No confusion
In Cinnamon 19 here is an icon that appears in the notification area of the panel when an external drive is mounted. It is named 'Removable drives'
You can click there and choose to 'remove' or eject the drive.
remove drives.jpg
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Please accept my apology, there is indeed a "Removable Drives" in System Settings, Applets, an applet I routinely remove on my system :oops:

Restore it from the applet in System Settings.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

But we agree it's rather 'windows-ish'
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

To clarify how to use the "Removable Drive" panel applet:

To restore it to the panel, open System Settings, go to Applets, scroll to "Removable Drives", click on it to highlight then click on the "+" symbol to attach it to the panel.
After inserting a thumb drive a drive icon will appear on the panel and when left clicked will reveal the name of the inserted drive with a triangle next to it.
A left click on the name of the drive will open it in the file manager nemo - a left click on the triangle will unmount it.

When unmounting using Safely Remove Drive from the Desktop icon (if enabled in System Settings, Desktop - Mounted volumes) may show a "timed out" message after a considerable delay. This is a benign bug. Using "Eject" does not display any errors and achieves the same result.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
tb75252
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tb75252 »

kyphi wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 pm To clarify how to use the "Removable Drive" panel applet:

To restore it to the panel, open System Settings, go to Applets, scroll to "Removable Drives", click on it to highlight then click on the "+" symbol to attach it to the panel.
After inserting a thumb drive a drive icon will appear on the panel and when left clicked will reveal the name of the inserted drive with a triangle next to it.
A left click on the name of the drive will open it in the file manager nemo - a left click on the triangle will unmount it.

When unmounting using Safely Remove Drive from the Desktop icon (if enabled in System Settings, Desktop - Mounted volumes) may show a "timed out" message after a considerable delay. This is a benign bug. Using "Eject" does not display any errors and achieves the same result.
Thanks for the clarifications!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

remdrive1.jpg
remdrive2.jpg
@kyphi Good point. When I first explored this little applet it indeed was somewhat unintuitive because there
is no separator for the eject symbol.
For me right clicking the panel area and choosing 'Add applets to panel' was the quickest to reinstall
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I hope that tb75252 now has sufficient information both descriptive and pictorial to restore the wanted icon and to mark his thread as Solved.

@all41 - That triangle symbol which is in common use in Linux has flummoxed many a new user. I was pleased to see it gone in the current dconf-editor.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In this simple applet showing triangle/bar as a button, separated from the drive designation would be intuitive.
This shouldn't be difficult code

Return to “Beginner Questions”